appreciate it if you tell me what you know !!! ???

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
TamaraN
Level 1
Level 1

my turtles have soft shell i think the back end of their shells bend ...does anyone know about this cuttlebone stuff what does that do and do they eat it do you just put it in the tank i heard that it could help it some also a calcium block which should i get thanks much
Sakmet
Level 1
Level 1

I\'d get a cuttlebone or calcuim block (basically the same thing) and put it in the tank with them. Turtles will sometimes chomp on it. It\'s supposed to help their shell stay hard, but in addition to that you might get some calcium powder and dredge their food through it so that they get some in their tummies as well. Let me know how it works out!
BeckDaPig
Level 2
Level 2

but where can we get a cuttle bone
or a calcium block ??

i cant find even a calcium block at the local Petco and Petsmart stores

is there a specifical website you people get it from??

thanx

piggy
Sakmet
Level 1
Level 1

You should be able to find cuttlebone in the bird section of any Petsmart or Petco.
This is what is looks like:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/small_ani ... ebone.html

and it contains about 85% Calcium Carbonate, so it\'s really good for shell health.

Goodluck
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

If you do get a cuttlebone, which you can also find in the pet section of the supermarket, you neeed to remove the hard backing. I usually do it with a scissor after letting it soak in water for a few hours. This hard backing can cause your turtle to choke if you don\'t remove it.

Do you also have a UVB lamp? Without it your turtle cannot properly make use of the calcium that it takes in.
  • Information