Is my turtle a hybrid?

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Ayzu_s

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am

my turtle shell has always been somewhat different than other RES i have seen ( ones on the internet) she has these curvy lines on the side and kind of spotty in the middle, instead of the usual streak pattern that most Res have. I wonder if this is common or of this means that she's a hybrid between two different slider species. she still has reddish-orange ears so i know she's definitely a Res but its just her shell that a little different. Im hoping someone here would know.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B70zIL0hfGR ... 2b8omre5k7
Chopsley
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi beautiful patterns !!!

I'm new to forum but have six decades with turtles. Yes a hybrid , maybe with someone in the map family. Where territories over lap it's not that uncommon. Also a female slider can hold for over a year sperm from several fathers . Then even in one clutch could have all kind of patterns in same clutch. From my experience it's more common with aquatic turtles than land turtles.
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:59 am

This reply comes from another member [email protected] (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=102649) but we were communicating via email about it.

"I've had a good look at the turtle, and at first glance it does look like a hybrid with a very closely related species, or an RES subspecies. What makes me hesitate is that the light green juvenile colouration and the strong, well delimited, red markings are strong RES characteristics. This makes me think there is also the possibility that it is an aberrant specimen, with an unusual pattern. If it was an RES/Map or RES/Yellowbelly it would be easy to tell, but that clearly isn't the case!

As you know, RES are highly variable, and aberrant specimens are plentiful, though not as common as hybrids. The only way to know for sure is DNA testing, but breeding can be a good indicator as well. DNA testing sounds expensive, and I don't know what lab would be able to do it! On the other hand, if the owner was to eventually breed the animal with a pure-bred RES, you'd see one of three results:
1. None of the offspring have a similar pattern - this would mean that the animal was a RES with an aberrant pattern, coded for by a recessive gene or a one-off mutation
2. Roughly 50% of the offspring have a similar pattern - this would mean that the animal was a RES with an aberrant pattern, coded for by a dominant or incomplete dominant gene.
3. All offspring display a pattern somewhere between the animal in question and a typical RES - in which case you have a hybrid!

So, in a nutshell, I don't really know! I'm leaning towards an unusual but pure-bred RES myself, but what I've detailed above are the only sure-fire ways to find out. "

Hope this helps!
  • Information