Red eared slider eyes

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
MD0622

Hey everyone. Me and my husband live in japan and decided to get some turtles we saw at a pet store. They have 3 left so we got them. We didn't get to closely look at them before we took them all home and after setting up the tank we noticed one of them doesnt move. His eyes are red and wont open up at all! I read as much as I could find and heard to put cod liver oil on his eyes so I started that yesterday. He finally moved around yesterday for a little bit but now is back to sitting on the rock doing nothing. Occasionally he opens his mouth a tiny bit but that's it. The little guy is only about an inch long and I want to help him to the best of my ability. Please help!
Thistle
Level 1
Level 1

I'm really not an expert, so for the eyes, I think as long as the cod liver oil is working, that seems good. :?: However, do you know why it was caused? Sometimes chlorine in water can irritate their eyes. :twisted:

For the time being, just make sure you have the correct care and set up for the little guys!

Care sheet: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... slider.htm

Good setup: https://youtu.be/hDVFyT-HnVQ
Thistle
Level 1
Level 1

Terribly sorry, I forgot the most important part, always check with a herp vet if possible! :p (Try looking online, or better yet, call a regular vet or sanctuary nearby, they are bound to know something!) Your turtle may be sick with more than just irritated eyes, and it might medication. Like I said, I'm not very knowledgeable, but I hope for the best for you and your turtles ❤️
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Swollen eyes and gaping mouth is not a good sign. It usually indicates respiratory infection, which can be fatal very quickly and definitely need medical intervention as soon as possible.
While it might help during recovery, cod oil is merely vitamins supplement. You will need antibiotics from a veterinarian clinic.

I used to live in Japan but now in the US.
Reading that you live in Japan, and assuming your main language is English, it might be difficult to talk to a vet.
However, RES is one of the most common turtles nowadays in Japan(sadly invasive) so veterinarians should be somewhat knowledgeable about the species. Some doctors can speak English, some even fluently, just depends.
  • Information