So.... I have two turtles

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
Maketakunai

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:11 am

I'm a little new to this turtle thing.

The day before yesterday I went out to buy a fish and came home with two turtles in a depressingly small plastic prison and two little bags of turtle food. I've been reading up on this, and clearly the lady who sold them to me was a little dishonest about how easy turtles are to care for. Even so, they're somewhat cute and I think I'm up for the challenge.

So.... here I am...

I've done a little research online. They appear to be Sliders of some sort. I'm looking for something bigger for them to live in when I get off work in the morning. And a rock. I'll be looking for a nice flat rock they can play on. Other than that I'm pretty much in the dark about the care and feeding of turtles. I don't want to do anything that might hurt the wee beasties. So, I'm going to take this slow and try to get the right things they need. I'm hoping to find some answers to my main questions in the forums, and I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions.

Thanks...
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:21 am

Sounds like the person may not have known much about turtles. They aren't too bad, but they do live a long time and require some regular maintenance though you can automate feeding with an automatic feeder and water cleaning with a good filter.

Here is a guide for red eared sliders that is pretty in depth. https://www.allturtles.com/red-eared-slider/

Hope this helps to get you started!
  • Information