HELP PLEASE TURTLE IS VERY SICK

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

i need help i have two turtles in seperate tanks and they both are sick they get this puffy throat thing going on like they are choking on something but they wont eat. i had to take them to the emergency room at the pet hospital they took xrays and found nothing also blood test was done to it said malnutition becouse of not eating but i have been giving them food they wont eat.i have to feed them with a serenge and baby food also they have been getting baytril once aday too also they are out of the water they get soaked for 15minutes twice aday. if anyone has ever heard of this before can you please help me. asap . i fear they might die.
Sakmet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I\'m not an expert, but I\'d make sure all your parameters are correct, such as water temp (78-82) basking area, (85degrees), is their water clean? Are they getting plenty of UV light, Vit. A, calcium, and other vit\'s and minerals? If all of this sounds normal for you, then I\'d continue to do some research. Usually if turtles are nice and warm and everything else is okay then they are pretty good eaters. Some people suggest teasing them with food to incite a response. Try a nice juicy worm and see if they perk up at that. The only time I\'ve seen \"swollen throats\" on my turtles is when they gulp air, which seems normal. Keep me posted, I hope everything works out for you.

Sakmet wrote:
Hi there,

I\'m not an expert, but I\'d make sure all your parameters are correct, such as water temp (78-82) basking area, (85degrees), is their water clean? Are they getting plenty of UV light, Vit. A, calcium, and other vit\'s and minerals? If all of this sounds normal for you, then I\'d continue to do some research. Usually if turtles are nice and warm and everything else is okay then they are pretty good eaters. Some people suggest teasing them with food to incite a response. Try a nice juicy worm and see if they perk up at that. The only time I\'ve seen \"swollen throats\" on my turtles is when they gulp air, which seems normal. Keep me posted, I hope everything works out for you.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

If your turtle doesn\'t seem to be eating, try feeding it cooked chicken, lean beef, or shrimp, they probably don\'t like the pellets. Also, make sure the water is warm enough for their liking, if the water is too cold, they will go into a state where it is too cold to eat but too warm to hibernate, and this is fatal.
  • Information