algae

Discussions about turtles.
misslleiyah

I\'m having a really hard time keeping control of the algae in Henry & Sheldon\'s tank. I do have one goldfish and a couple guppies but I\'m not sure if they would have anything to do with it. Can anyone help me?
Sakmet
Level 1
Level 1

Algae can be tough. Frequent water changes help out a lot. If you have the tank near a window and sunlight you\'d want to move it away. Anyway you can reduce the lighting in the tank without compromising the health of your turtles would also help the situation a lot. you can get one of those scrub brushes to get it off right before a water change. A couple of fish in your tank probably wouldn\'t affect things too much unless you\'re overfeeding them and causing a lot of excess \"nutrients\" for the algae. I would stay away from goldfish if you can. I use guppies and larger livebearers as feeders. Goldfish are a cold water fish and are also extremely dirty and will only contribute to the fouling of the water. Check out this link http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html for some good info on algae control. I raise my own livebearers as feeders.. I have a few tanks set up with larger ones such as mollies and swordtails and by doing this I know I\'m not introducing any diseases into the tank. Anyway, sorry for the length of this. Good luck!
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

I had a hug problem with algae but I got a water filter and a algae eater. Things have been great since with very little algae growth in my tank :)
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

That works? I was actually thinking of getting an algae eater for my tank, but I kind of got the impression that the turtle\'d eat the poor lil guy. I\'m a bit too sentimental to go buying an algae eater a week, just to watch Stu massacre the poor things. *chuckle*
misslleiyah

Thank you all for your help. I had a feeling that the goldfish would probably make it worse. Also, I did have an algae eater but Henry and Shelldon picked it apart. The pet store told me to try snails but I heard they reproduce very fast and I definitely don\'t want a fecies load of snails in my tank. So for those of you thinking about getting an algae eater make sure it is big enough if you feel like maybe putting it thru some torture.
Also, aren\'t there any chemicals that I could put in it to reduce the algae that won\'t hurt my guys? Which lights would be ok to turn off?
Thank you all so much for your help. I do have a couple of books but they don\'t help too much with the actual care of the turtle.
Sakmet
Level 1
Level 1

This link http://www.aquariumfish.net/information ... r.htm#top2 has some really good information on types of algae and how to get rid of it. Basically, if you\'ve got algae problems you need to start with 20% water changes once a day till you see it start to disappear... but the article talks more about that. Regarding the light, if it\'s nice outside where you live you could take your turtles outside periodically to get some good old-fashioned sunlight and then you could turn off your UV lightbulb in your tank for a bit. I\'d experiment and see what works best here. Light is really important for turtles so you may want to concentrate on doing some really good water changes, making sure that any gravel in the bottom of your tank is cleaned out, etc. Preventative maintenance is the key. If you don\'t have one, get a bio-wheel so that all of that good bacteria can consume the bad nutrients and waste in your tank. There\'s lots of stuff you can try. I\'d stay away from chemicals... excessive algae growth is a sign that there\'s something going on with your water and you need to pay attention to that. If you use chemicals, you\'re treating the \"symptoms\" and not the \"disease\" so to speak. So start with water changes first and get a good scrub brush that you can use at first sign of algae coming back. Goodluck!
  • Information