My RES won\'t eat!

Discussions about turtles.
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyonw. I\'ve entered and received responses from this message board and I really appreciate any help anyone can provide with this problem.
I have had a baby RES for about 4 months and I\'ve only seen him eat one bite of a piece of chicken during this whole 4 month time.
He just won\'t eat anything. I\'ve tried putting him in a separate container to feed. Is it maybe not deep enough? It\'s about 2\" deep and about 9X11 in size. I put a variety of food in the water in there and then put him in very carefully. He just swims around like he\'s playing and spends the whole time just looking out the sides of the container! He literally swims right through the middle of a blob of food and doesn\'t even to seem to notice. He even wipes it out of his eyes with his little foot but I never see him take a bite! It is so frustrating. I\'m trying now to feed him in his regular tank. I thought he might just be scared or the move to the feeding container. But he just does the same thing. My tank only has the heater, floating island and basking area. Is he maybe needing more stuff to hide in and around. Maybe he\'s shy, I just don\'t know!!! Please help me if you can. I\'m so frustrated. I can\'t believe the little guy has lived so long without taking a bit. My husband thinks he must be eating something and it\'s just so small I can\'t tell it. I don\'t know!

PLEASE HELP
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Don\'t worry, sometimes it takes a longer while than others for a new baby to eat. Yes, he probibly is consuming something because of his activity. Just as long has he stays happy and healthy and active, i\'m sure he\'s fine.
Willie
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

But for 4 months? That just seems like a really long time. Do you think I\'m just panicing too soon? I hope you\'re right.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

He\'s prbibly fine as long as he\'s healthy and active...he most be finding food at or from another sourse...trust me....i\'ve ha a lot of turtles in my day. Good Luck!
Willie
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

Well I\'ve now tried frozen blood worms for my little Sandy and he\'s still not interested. The pet store suggested I buy a tube of stuff called \"Jump Start\". It\'s supposed to kick start the appetite of repitles who won\'t eat. The problem is trying to get him to take this!! It comes with a syringe to gently put into the corner of the mouth and and encourage them to swallow it. Well, this little guy is only big as a silver dollar. His mouth is too tiny to force anything in to it! So I rub it around on there in hopes that he opens up when I\'m not looking! But no luck so far.
BeckDaPig
Level 2
Level 2

I GIVE MY BABY (1\") REPTOMIN BY TETRA
SHE LIKES IT

THERE WAS A TIME WHERE SHE REFUSED TO EAT FOR A FEW MONTH TOO (I AM GUESSING IT WAS TOO COLD)AND SHE SUFFERED FROM SWOLLEN EYES RIGHT AFTER (LACK OF HEAT), YET AFTER THAT, SHE STARTED EATING ON HER OWN.

SO DOUBLE CHECK UR HEATING, MAYBE THAT MIGHT BE THE MAIN CAUSE OF PROBLEM??

PIGGY
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Still not working? Do you have a UVB light over his tank? That encourages turtles. The Bulbs are very inexpensive and you can find them in about just any pet store. I buy mine from Fleet Farm (or maybe \"Farm and Fleet\" in your area) they say Reptile lights. You can get a bulb for night and day. The day bulb was $5 and the night bulb was $7; very cheep. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Willie
  • Information