BIG Baby RES

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
lynn
Level 1
Level 1

My two baby RES were the size of silver dollars last August (2002). (Frisky\'s plastron was 1\" from front to back, Lucy\'s was 1-1/4\"). They have grown very rapidly! Should I be alarmed that Frisky\'s plastron is now nearly 6\" and Lucy\'s is over 4\"? I feed them crickets and mealworms (only after I have \"fed the food\" with variously available commercial \"gut loading\" products, along with apple slices and high-quality dry cat food), goldfish, occasional \"pelleted\" food of various brands, very occasional treats of freeze dried shrimp and cooked chicken. They have yet to touch any greens they have been offerred. Also--they love snails(little ones 1/4\" to 1/2\")--an item that I have had trouble finding except the the larger ones. I also put a cuttle bone in the tank occasionally and both of them bite at it greedily. Since they are not a year old, I have been feeding them twice a day. They eagerly \"mill around\" the front of the tank when they see me approach. Lately they have each been getting 5-10 mealworms twice a day. I usually give them crickets once a day--they easily polish off 3 or 4 each. Often I will also measure a half-teaspoon or so of some pelletted food and provide it to them once a day. They pork down everything. Their first 10-gallon tank looked to me like the Pacific Ocean, considering their diminutive size. They now reside in a 30-gallon tank (\"high\"--in that it has the footprint of a 20 gallon \"low\") and this will have to be upgraded soon. A Fluval 404 Canister filter (cleaned weekly), UV-Active Flood basking light distributed by Wild Inside (along with an easily accessible basking site), a Tronic aquarium heater (100w) which I keep set at about 80 degrees and thermometer to monitor same, and an aerator for the fish complete their housing.

These little critters appear to be healthy in every respect: eyes, carapaces, plastrons, skin, appetite, etc. I had them to the New York Animal Center in October for a \"checkup\" by appropriately trained Veterinarian. I do this routinely with any new animals I acquire but in this case Lucy appeared to have a respiratory problem. \"She\" was breathing with \"her\" mouth open. The day after I noticed this, both of them were on their way to the Doc\'s. Antibiotic treatment (injections)cleared up Lucy\'s condition and I have observed no symptoms in either turtle since. At that time, Frisky weighed 37 grams and Lucy was 23 grams. They were still quite small. I have not attempted to weigh them, but do measure them once a month or so. Now they are about 7 months old. I find their growth rate mind-boggling. Is there any such thing as their growing \"too fast\"??? Am I doing them a disservice??? Any and all feedback will be welcome: anectodal, empirical, medical, scientific, etc.
I look forward to anyone willing to \"compare notes\".
Many thanks,
Lynn
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I have a paint who was 1 1/8 when i found him and is now 3 1/8. I found him last June.
BeckDaPig
Level 2
Level 2

lynn

i am still a newb to the turtle world so dont really take my words for it

but it seems like u are giving ur turtles too much and too nutritious to eat?

piggy
  • Information