Hibernation

Discussions about turtles.
loscott

I have some very new turtles (RES). I have them in my home. They are very little.( about 1 1/2 inches wide) I think that they are hibernating. I read an aticle that said not to let them hibernate unless you are going to breed them. I don't want to do that. One of them is hiding under a log in the water and has not moved for a few days, I know that he is still alive because he will open his eyes if I shine a light at him. The other one is out of the water and is under the heat lamp. He has not moved for days either. WHAT DO I DO? Oh and they won't eat. I am giving them pellets of food that I got whem I bought them. How long can they go without eating????
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

Do you have heating for your turtles? if not, is it below 50 degrees in the room the turtles are in? They are probably too young for hybernation. Raise the temperature with a heating lamp or a small water heater and do NOT let them hybernate. Don't point a flash light at the turtle, it'll freak them out. What you should do right now is give them some time to get use to the new environment, and with proper heating and "light". They'll be fine. Check out the care sheet section on this website, it's really helpful, it taught me everything I need to know aobut raising turtles. As for food, try giving them worms, it'll jump start their appetite.
  • Information