HELP! turtles intestines coming out?

Discussions about turtles.
j8breakz

i have a softshell turtle. and while he was basking today i noticed a a big blob of very dark brown almost black stuff coming out if his anus area. i thought one time i read that this was intestines coming out? please give me some help. i have him in a 40 gallon long tank. water temp is around 79 right now. water is pretty clean. he has a basking light as well. any help????
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

Though it hasn\'t happened to my 9 year old RES..i heard that if it is the intestines coming out...you should make sure that its kept moist and not let the intestines dry out.

I know this condition can occur in turtles, and it shouldn\'t affect the way they function or their health...as long as their intestines are not chewed off by another turtle or injured or dried out...

I know in this site (message board) there is a lot of information about this occurance in turtles...so maybe you can look through the message board for advice..or just do a search on the internet and there will be care sheets on how to handle this occurance in your turtle.

Good luck!
  • Information