Eyes closed all the time.

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
moby_khan
Level 1
Level 1

Thank You.
Last edited by moby_khan on Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
l8or g8or

Check the warmth of the water and the basking area to make sure they are the correct temperature. If the tank is too cold it could be going into hibernation mode.... Is the turtle eating? I do have to say a vet may be needed...
jesi
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you have water deep enough for it to swim in. Your turtle can\'t open it\'s eyes if it doesn\'t have a lot of water because their eyes dry out.

I have a turtle that is doing the same thing. He is underwater all day sleeping. His other turtle friend basks and swims and eats but he does none of these. I\'m very worried that he\'s sick but there are no physical signs of anything. The water temp is 79-81. I recently moved them into a bigger tank but he seemed fine with that and was basking after. A few days later, though, he began sleeping all the time. Are there turtle vets?
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

my friend has a turtle with this which i am caring for because there are no reptile vet around here, i went to the pet store and bought some turtle eye drops, you put them in once a day, the turtle opened it\'s eyes the next day, i think it might be bind though, when they keep there eye closed like this theyprobably have a invection from dirty water or a lack of Vitamon A try useng eye drops and useing Vitamon drops on there food or directly into the mouth, also make sure you have a UVB light, a good tip on getin them to open their mouth is to gently put you finger over there nose and wait for them to open the mouth to breath, it works okay because when they are not feeling well they tend not to fight as much, but it\'s not easy geting a baby RES mouth open
Korni
Level 1
Level 1

Vitamin A deficiency causes swollen eyelids, which can result in vision problems and bloody skin patches. Swollen and shut eyes used to be a common symptom in baby Red Eared Sliders fed an inadequate diet. Swollen and shut eyes can also be symptoms of a respiratory infection and may require antibiotic therapy.

Treatment

Better Vitamin supplementation and antibiotics from your vet is mandatory for this dilemma.

Next time give your turtle vitamins before. You have vitamins in drops.
  • Information