He\'s not basking or eating!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
jeepin247
Level 1
Level 1

I have had my RES since August. He has a 15 watt heat lamp. I was told since he is still small not to go any hotter because he will start to cook. I feed him his turtle food and he doesn\'t eat it. The filter ends up eating it! He also has been hiding his head in one of the blocks in his tank. Any suggestions on livening him up and getting him to eat?
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

Does your turtle only have the 15 watt lamp?
Turtles need UVB lighting as well to mimic sunlight so to maintain a healthy appetite and strong shell. If you don\'t have UVB lighting right now, that is probably the reason why your turtle has stopped eating. Because it is starting to lose appetite from the lack of exposure to sunlight (UVB rays).

Also, do you have a heater? Turtles\' water need to be at between 75 and 85 degrees F. If the water is too cold, the turtles\' metabolism starts to slow down and they end up eating less and less, and eventually not eating at all.

So with the proper lighting (UVB lighting), and a water heater...your turtle should start regaining her/his appetite...if your turtle doesn\'t after you provide these two things...a visit to the vet sounds good....

try changing his diet some by putting dried shrimp or meat like turkey or ham in the tank my turtle did the same thing.
yelexia
Level 1
Level 1

[quote]Dottie wrote:
Does your turtle only have the 15 watt lamp?
Turtles need UVB lighting as well to mimic sunlight so to maintain a healthy appetite and strong shell. If you don\'t have UVB lighting right now, that is probably the reason why your turtle has stopped eating. Because it is starting to lose appetite from the lack of exposure to sunlight (UVB rays).

Also, do you have a heater? Turtles\' water need to be at between 75 and 85 degrees F. If the water is too cold, the turtles\' metabolism starts to slow down and they end up eating less and less, and eventually not eating at all.

So with the proper lighting (UVB lighting), and a water heater...your turtle should start regaining her/his appetite...if your turtle doesn\'t after you provide these two things...a visit to the vet sounds good....[/quote

So what happens when the water is too warm?
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

When the water is too warm, your turtle won\'t be comfortable and will seek refuge away from the water (go on the basking area). And then the air in the tank would become too warm, and especially if its an enclosed tank, it\'s just going to suffocate your turtle.

If the water is above 90 degrees thats just too hot...you might dehydrate your turtle. It\'s like steaming/cooking your turtle in the long run- and you wouldn\'t want to do that, would u?

Best water temperature is between 75-80 degrees Farenheit.
jeepin247
Level 1
Level 1

He does have a 15 watt UVB bulb. His water temp is about 75 during the day and roughly 80 at night. I do feed him cooked chicken and he likes venison. I gave him freeze dried blood worms as well. He doesn\'t eat them anymore. Should I increase the wattage of the bulb? The light is on from about 6:30am to 9pm.
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

Do you feed anything else to your turtle? Maybe you should try a variety of food...like veggies, turtle pellets. Maybe he/she is just being picky... I heard that too much chicken, and cooked meat can be bad for turtles because it is too fatty. Though young turtles are meat-lovers and should have a protein oriented diet...I think turtle pellets, shrimp, crickets are healthier. (Though occasionally the cooked chicken/meat is fine too.)

As long as your turtle is exposed to UVB lighting(or natural sunlight outdoors), a strong filter to keep the water clean, has heater in the water (to keep warm), and a basking area so that the turtle may get out of the water and bask under the light....it should be a comfortable place to be...

Maybe you should take your turtle to the vet...it might be something more serious...

I hope your turtle gets better!
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

Also, if you are considering getting a different wattage for the lamp: \"As a general rule, you can determine whether or not the basking spot you have provided is too hot for your turtle by placing your hand underneath it where the turtle would rest. The heat intensity should match that of noonday sun in the summer, and should be even and gentle. It should not be so hot that your turtle cannot safely fall asleep under it.\"

I got it from this site, which is a good source to read about turtle care,housing, etc..

http://centralpets.com/care/pets/reptil ... etcare.php
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

P.S.: I think you should get a higher wattage, but make sure its not too hot when you put your hand underneath it.
jeepin247
Level 1
Level 1

I have fed him various things. He really isn\'t crazy about veggies. I have tried several pellets. I don\'t feed him cooked meat all the time though. Once or twice a month. Would a 25 watt light be ok?
jeepin247
Level 1
Level 1

I put a 50 watt bulb in and he loves it!! He is eating and basking now!! YEAH!!!
  • Information