Pink, translucent goo

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Sodapop

Please help me out here. For the past couple of months I have noticed that the color of my turtle\'s filter pads have been pinkish in color. Originally, I thought Cujo (that\'s his name--an RES) had cut himself and that is why they were discolored. However, I purchased new filter pads and the first time I cleaned it out, which was a week after I replaced them, they were pink. In the past, I have found a pink, translucent goo on Cujo, but have not found any source of origin. His appetite is good, and his energy has not been affected. This problem is a recent problem and I do not know what to do. Is he sick? Does he need medicine? Has anyone had this happen to their turtle? Please, respond because I am pretty worried about the little fella. Thanks a lot.

its probably algae. do you use a water conditioner? cleaning the water often enough? cleaning the filter often enough? i am not sure if its harmful to the turtle, but eventually bacteria can grow anyway in the water if you arent using a conditioner and keeping it clean.
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

I always wash the tank with hot water to remove all the dirt and so on(without them inside).
Sodapop

Well, I use TurtleClean to treat the water, is that considered a water conditioner? Also, I change the water at least once every week, sometimes more. The more I keep looking at him, the more I think that this \"goo\" may be coming from his underside, but I\'m not at all sure of that, so I really don\'t know what it is, and I am concerned that this may affect his health in the long-run. Anyone have any other theories?
  • Information