lighting question

Discussions about turtles.
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

Stu is doing lovely, thanks to the gracious help of people online. Thank you all for that. :)

I\'d like to ask something though. We recently went out and had a turtle splurge weekend, and spent a decent amount of money on new toys for her, including a new basking lamp and reptile friendly flourescent bulb. I\'d read somewhere though, that UVA and UVB rays won\'t be able to pass through glass or plastic.

The tank setup that we have her in now has a clear plastic cover right under the lighting fixture. Will the UV rays she needs be able to pass through this and get to her? or do I need to find a way to improvise my setup.

All help is appreciated :) And Stu thanks you too!
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

from everything i\'ve heared about set ups the rays that the turtles are supposed to be getting from these uva/uvb bulbs cant penetrate plastic or glass.. so baisicly unless you move the glass you\'ve just bought yourself a really expensive light bulb! hope i helped bye!
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

Aight :) looks like I\'ll just end up taking the top off. She still can\'t crawl out the top, so it should work fine, we\'ll just end up adding water more frequently. Thanks a ton for the help!
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Erica is right,.... you need to take out the glass. I use a screen cover that the lights are mounted to. Works pretty well....I have to have a cover though because my cats are very interested in my turtle
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

Funny you should mention adding water. I have to add a quarter gallon every week. I used to think that maybe I had a slow leak in the tank, but after checking it out I found out that the lamp was evaporating the water. if the lamp is left on for 8+ hours, the air smells musty from the turtle water. When it is off, the creekwater smell disapates. My lamp currently is over 1/2 basking land and 1/2 water where a branch sticks out. I guess that if I moved it over the land basking area exclusively, less water would evaporate. Any comments or similar experiences?
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

It is normal, I have to add probably 2-3 gallons a week to my tank. That is what is going to happen with an open cover(screen).
  • Information