Beef Heart??

Discussions about turtles.
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

I was just wondering if frozen beef heart was good for my baby red ear sliders because they absolutely LOVE it they are very shy about eating in front of me but when I feed them that it must be too good to wait until I leave haha! I was just wondering if it was good for them?? If it is I recommend it to anyone thats turtles won\'t eat!!
Thanks
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

baby_res wrote:
I was just wondering if frozen beef heart was good for my baby red ear sliders because they absolutely LOVE it they are very shy about eating in front of me but when I feed them that it must be too good to wait until I leave haha! I was just wondering if it was good for them?? If it is I recommend it to anyone thats turtles won\'t eat!!
Thanks

Beef heart is too fatty for turtles. Maybe like once a month as a treat, but I know that raw meat (chicken, beef, pork), cooked meat, dog food are all too fatty for turtles. Because they are things that turtles in the wild (in general) cannot obtain naturally. In the wild, they eat fish, shrimp, and worms, and vegetations in the water

The turtle pellets in pet shops are good for turtles because they contain balanced nutritions (protein, fatty acids, vitamins), and also green leafy vegetables and fruits are very healthy for your turtle.

I hope this helps you. Good luck with your babies! Turtles are such wonderful animals!
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

Dottie I feed them pellets every day and they love them too but they don\'t like shrimp. . . not even live brine shrim! So I feed them Veggies but they only things they like are carrots I have a feeling I have very picky turtles on my hands they don\'t mind frozen blood worms (the male likes them more) so is there any other things you can think of if they can\'t have there loved beef heart??? Thanks so much for the reply!!
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle is so picky too! hehehee She won\'t eat her veggies at all. She rather eat the pellets, and shrimp. So I trick her by feeding her veggies first and then feeding the pellets after, or else she won\'t even touch the veggies after eating the pellets. I feed her leafy green vegetables.

Are your turtles young? Like less than 5 years old? I know that young turtles are meat lovers. You can feed them live tiny goldfish. I heard turtles love goldfish; and they get exercise by chasing the goldfish.

Also, have you tried other types of turtle food available in pet stores? I remember when I had baby turtles I fed them this turtle food from the store...it was little tiny squares, and when you put it in water it gets really soft. My babe turtles loved them...But unfortunately I forgot what they are called! So sorry i can\'t give you the name and what it\'s made of- but maybe when you go into pet stores, they can show you different types of turtle food.

I hope this helps you. Say hi to your babies for me! heheeee
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

Dottie my turtles are A LOT younger then five years old there about 3 months old haha
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

baby_res wrote:
Dottie my turtles are A LOT younger then five years old there about 3 months old haha
AWWWWWWW how cute! they are real tiny babies! I remember when my turtle was that small... :)
Have you tried feeding them live tiny feeders? They might love it ;)
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

I am just now going to put brine shrimp in with them! And yes they are SOOO cute haha I they are the best! Thanks for all your help!!! Jared (male) and Charly (female) love you for it i\'m sure!
  • Information