Turtle shell

Discussions about turtles.
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

In the past little while i\'ve posted a few things on here for my turtle since i belived or belive i dont know she has soft shell.. but i called pet stores and a friend of my moms who has turtles and they both said they dont think she has it. So now i\'m even more confused than before. My turtle is not yet a year and is still fairly small... her eating habbits have not changed, she doesn\'t act funny and when i touch the softer part it doesnt seem to bother her in the least. i dont know if it\'s just my imagination but she seems to be changing colours.. her skin is good she is bright eyed and if i let her run around she still explores and everything like usual. and her shell isn\'t even too soft.. just it\'s not solid or i can kinda wobble it a little... please help if you can! what ever she has has been driving me nuts! or is it just she is growing like the pet store people said?
deesygirl

Here is some information on shells from the first aid pages on this site. http://www.allturtles.com/care_sheets/first_aid.php#5
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

The link that deesygirl posted is very helpful to your turtle.

The turtle\'s shell should be very hard and solid. There shouldn\'t be any spots of softness unless its a soft shell turtle.

If you expose your turtle to several hours of real sunlight a day, or if you have an UVB light in the aquarium leave it on the whole day (until night turn it off when your turtle sleeps). The prolonged exposure to sunlight (UVB light) will strengthen your turtle\'s shell in the long run. Though it will take a while for your turtle\'s shell to get back to normal (harden), so dietary supplements of calcium will help too.

I hope your turtle gets well soon.
BeckDaPig
Level 2
Level 2

GOD I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

my baby\'s shell is getting softer and softer!!
i am so worried.

i bought one of those UVA bulbs. BTW, whats the difference between UVB and UVA???
i bought a incandescent bulb from petsmart and i went to return it cuz i dont really belive the sales person knows anything...instead i went to buy another kind by ZooMedics that says it has UVA rays. Yet i saw some discussions that turtles need UVB rays instead.
So whats the difference? which one is the right kind to get?

i\'ve been using the lamp for at least a week now but it doesnt seem like my baby\'s improving...now even my older turtle is getting soft on his rear end...

i dont know what to do

pigg
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

UVB light is to mimic sunlight. It is needed to maintain your turtle\'s appetite and keep your turtle\'s shell strong and hard (since the natural sunlight has vitamin D3 that helps the bones). So UVB lighting is definitely needed to help your turtle stay healthy. Also, turtles\' shells (except for softshell turtles) go soft with the lack of sunlight, vitamin D3, and calcium. So if you provide UVB lighting it will help their soft harden and you can also supplement their diet with calcium to further fortify their shell.

Also, UVB lighting gets filtered out by glass and plastic, so when you get UVB lighting make sure that it is not separated by glass/plastic. You can place the UVB lighting on the tank, with a mesh wire top to cover the tank; that way the UVB rays won\'t be filtered out

If you under this link:http://www.allturtles.com/care_sheets/first_aid.php#5 (that deesygirl posted), and look under \"5) Shell diseases\", it can further explain why softness in hard shell turtles occur.

if you read this site it will tell you more about taking care of turtles\' housing:

http://centralpets.com/care/pets/reptil ... etcare.php

Also, visit
http://centralpets.com/pages/critterpag ... 2632.shtml

and look under \"Specific care information\"

I believe that UVA light is for basking purposes. It is warm light that heats up the tank and basking area so that your turtle may bask under the light (as they do often in the wild under the sun).

I hope your turtles\' shells are getting better!
BeckDaPig
Level 2
Level 2

THANX DOTTIE
THIS IS GREAT HELP

REALLY APPRECIATE IT

PIGGY
  • Information