I have 2 brand new baby turtles

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
brandi

I could really use some advice on this, i found them wondering the front yard & thought they were so cute, they are green, with an orange spot on either side of thier heads, which leads me to believe they are orange sliders...which is the proper diet for them( I have been giving them grapes, tomatoes, egg shell, squash)and hoping that this is the correct diet...also i have their environment set up with rock & water with newspapers crumbled in case they get stressed and a little box they can go into..if i am doing something wrong pls let me know asap as i would love to take care of these 2 cute little creatures as best i can..oh & if its not a prob - how do you tell male from female? thanks alot everyone
brandi
BeckDaPig
Level 2
Level 2

HEY BRANDI

HOW DID YOU JUST HAPPEN TO FIND TWO BABY TURTLES IN UR FRONT YARD?

I DONT GET TOO MUCH OF THAT IN CALIFORNIA.

PIGGY
brandi

hello, I live about a mile away from a lake(in florida) & i guess the mother buried the eggs in my front yard, but i was using my yard blower& blowing all the leaves out of one of my flowerbeds when lucky for me & the turtle I looked down & there it sat, a few seconds later my son came out & there was a second one on the driveway, so now I have two really sweet cute turtles & would love to know what i am getting myself into if I keep them, once they have been tamed you can\'t just let them go once they get to big can you? So i am debating just taking them to a canal that runs about 1/4 mile away & setting them back to the wild, any body else have any views on my prob? I have them in a big tupperware bowl with water, rocks, & sticks to climb on. I was looking into getting a 10 gallon aquarium to keep them in & would love any info anyone would like to give me thanks alot everyone Its amazing how attached i have become to these darling little creatures.:O)
~Brandi
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

Awww how cute! baby turtles...! how are they doing? I hope they are doing just well :)
Turtles actually get very big and require a lot of time and money to be spent on them.
If you know that in the long run you cannot afford the money and time to take care of them, its probably best that you let them go back to the lake.
Because eventually the 10 gallon tank will be too small, and a 55 gallon tank would be more ideal. Also, you would definitely need a filter (Fluval is a great brand); provide UVB/UVA lighting (this mimics sunlight and sunlight is very important for your turtles\' health - helps maintain a healthy appetite and strong shells) and water heater; and have a basking area (an elevated area in the water) so that your turtle may get out of the water because turtles loves to bask under the sun.

These five things (aquarium tank, UVB/UVA lighting, filter, heater, basking area) are necessary for turtle\'s healthy and survival in captivity.
The turtle pellets in pet stores provide good nutrients for turtles...also, green leafy veggies, fruits are good supplements.
I hope this helps you. These are just the general basic things needed for taking care of a turtle. If you ever have any other questions, I can always help.
Lots of luck with your new babies!! :)
  • Information