read this! very important!

Discussions about turtles.
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

I have a turtle who is not yet over a year old. Today while i was checking her shell i noticed that the shell overtop of her tail is not as hard as the rest. i dont know if she cracked it since there are no visible cracks or if it is a lack of calcium or something else. if anyone has had this problem i\'d love to get your advice. thanks
deesygirl

Lack of calcium. It is called soft shell. You can dredge food such as lean cooked chicken or prekilled guppies in a calcium powder.Make sure you have a good uvb light as well.
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

thank you very much for your reply.... i gave kiwi a cuttle bone changed her calcium block,and what is the difference between a normal bulb and a uvb bulb? (she does get sun everyday too but i live in canada and the winter doesnt give us much of that) and how long will it take her shell to get back hard because i hate having her sick it makes me worry! thank you!
BeckDaPig
Level 2
Level 2

deesygirl wrote:
Lack of calcium. It is called soft shell. You can dredge food such as lean cooked chicken or prekilled guppies in a calcium powder.Make sure you have a good uvb light as well.
HOW DO U PREPARE THE \"PREKILLED GUPPIES IN A CALCIUM POWDER\"??

MY TURTLES HAVE SOFT SHELLS TOO
deesygirl

Sorry for not responding earlier. My system has been down.

Easiest way to get your res the calcium they need is to dreadge the guppies in calcium powder. I use reptocal it has a good source of calcium as well as vits. A,D,B & E. I put a small amount of the powder in the lid then drag the guppies or fish through it. Makes a mess in my tank so I do it right before a water change. The directions say you can even put a little powder in a baggy then add the food and shake. I use guppies and fresh fish. You can also put it on worms or chicken or even veggies for older RES.
  • Information