New tank and basking

Discussions about turtles.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

Goodmorning.
About a week ago I set up a 20 gallon long tank for my RES. I have only seen one of our RES get out and bask under the light. I am a stay at home mom so I see them all day. I am worried that they will get sick or something if they do not get out of the water more. Does anyone have any info on this ? I will take them and place them in the light. They will stay for about a minute them get right back in the water.

Any ideas or info would be great.
Thanks,
Debi
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

It takes sometime for the turtles to get use to a new environment. When I put on the new light for my turtles, they were hiding under a hiding spot for almost a month, then finally they come out and got the party started!!

Note: make sure you give them a heating(basking) lamp, as well as one of those "Full Spectrum flouricent" lamp that produce UVA and UVB rays
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

Any time you change thier home they will take time to adjust. I just doubled the width of the ramp going to thier basking area and so far only one out my three turtles have gone up. Before they were basking several times a day. After about a week or so they figure it out then they will be fine.

It is best not to change thier environment if you don't have to.
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

It's probably just taking time for your turtles to get used to their new surroundings. They'll go up and bask eventually.
  • Information