Turtle special on PBS

Discussions about turtles.
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

Hey, did anyone watch that special on PBS about turtles? It aired in the NY area Sunday night at 8 pm. I\'m not sure if it airs again, but if you happen to catch it, watch it. It was incredibly fascinating. The basic theme of the show was how and why turtles have been evolutionally successful and why after hundreds of millenia they are suddenly facing danger and extinction. They talked about several different species of turtles and even mentioned turtles as pets.

A couple of things I learned that I did not know:

* Turtles predate the dinosaur and evolved separately from other reptiles - and remain remarkably unchanged today.

* Sea turtles can successfully defend themselves against predatory sharks in shallow water - we cheered when they showed a turtle biting a tiger shark and scaring it away.

* Terrapins can hunt in packs! They showed one catching a gull off guard while others swarmed around it to drag the bird into the water and rip it apart. They also showed sliders in a South African zoo feeding \"like piranhas\" on a chicken leg.

Makes you think twice about that docile little creature begging for a ReptoMin stick, doesn\'t it? ;)

For those who didn\'t catch it, there\'s some info on the PBS website: www.pbs.org
mjorgen
Level 1
Level 1

i watched it its was very entertaining
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

i missed it :(
i can see my turtles attacking a large piece of meat like piranhas
deesygirl

I wish I would have seen that one. However I can understand the feeding frenzy. You should see these guys go for freash Halibut.
  • Information