Attaching the strip light

Discussions about turtles.
turt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Do you know how I can best attach a 20 inch strip light to a 30 gallon tank? I know a lot of people have that metal guide strip to support their strip light, but I don\'t know who sells this. Please advise.

Thanks.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I use a screen top and mount it to the screen.
turt
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve tried that, but with the screen top on, I can\'t clip on the basking lamp to the rim and I can\'t attach the filter to the rim either. Please advise. I\'m looking for one of those metal strips like in the indoor turtle setup aquarium pics on this site. Hope someone knows where to buy that...

Thanks.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I am actually in the process of trying the same thing. I looked on the home depot site, and was wondering if anyone knows if you can use an under cabinet kitchen light for a UVB light bulb. I was reading somewhere that they are usually less expensive, and do the same job. Is this true?

If it is, I have my turtle tank under a cabinet in my classroom, and I would be able to mount the light to it, and not worry about the cover to the tank at all.
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

I have a mesh screen top and I just used metal shears to cut one end off to make room for the filter. On the other end I cut a strip in the mesh near the rim so I can still clamp the basking lamp to the rim. It was very easy and it took about 10 minutes.
Last edited by sarky on Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Samw here used sceen top and cut holes for filter hoses and then purchased a cabinet fixture from Home Depot and mounted it tot he screen top also. As for the basking lamp, I drilled holes in it and mounted it also to the screen top.
turt
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all your help. I decided to cut a hole in my mesh metal top for the basking lamp. Since I have a turtle tank, I don\'t have to cut any other holes for the filter. And the thermometer wire easily fits into the small opening in the corner of the cover.

I also place Turd in there with all these gorgeous plants and a big bonsai stump like thing in the middle that I got from Petsmart.com. Also it has a floating rock for basking. It is so happy with its new aquarium (it had to stay in a fish bowl for a while--but it\'s just a baby--until I could set up this aquarium and first see if his owners really didn\'t want him anymore.) I didn\'t realize Turd was such an amazing swimmer. He is so amused with his own reflection in the glass. He\'s been through swimming starvation from having been in that bowl for about two weeks, so now it\'s living it up in the water, not even thinking about basking, I bet for at least another two days!

Thanks for all your help. After some struggling. I\'ve been able to set up a really nice tank.

-Turt
  • Information