You\'ve got to read this...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Raven
Level 1
Level 1

Actually you don\'t, but thanks for checking it out anyhow.

I know there are many people who brought home a little cute turtle to have and to hold...not realizing the difficulty of raising it. This is just the case with what my sister did. The turtle seems to be just fine, BUT, it\'s not basking. We\'ve tried to change the gravel (larger gravel, not small ones for it to eat)...we\'ve tried increasing his water for him to be more active, we\'ve tried the \"sun\" light bulb (20w), and we\'ve tried putting plants in his tank for him...and yes, he does have a place to completely get out of water under the light. How ever, the light is not schedualed...it\'s just \"heyy should I turn it on?\"...\"sure\". So I don\'t know what the problem might be. ALSO, the shell is starting to develope a white line down the middle, starting to spread (very slowly) around...wondering what that was.
l8or g8or

Ok, this is what I did for my turtle and it is only my opinion. I lowered the water temperature a bit, and made sure the basking area was nice and warm - then I left him alone so it was quiet. It took a good week for him to get brave enough and check things out. Be patient.....
Raven
Level 1
Level 1

Hmmm...I was going to say that the water temp is at about 72 or so. I tried raising it. So I dunno. Also, anything about the shell?

when turtles are a new pet to you, they dont do much for almost a week. they have to get used to their surroundings. they wont eat much or anything. make sure the water is close to 78* if its a red eared slider. and make sure the turtle gets food with plenty of vitamin a and calcium to keep his shell healthy. i am not sure whats up with his shell now, but it could be turning soft from lack of nutrition.
Raven
Level 1
Level 1

Wow...soft shell!??! That sucks. Well I\'ve had \"booger\" for a while now...and he was doing fine. Well I\'m going out to get more supplies for him. I really hope it\'s not soft shell.
Raven
Level 1
Level 1

Ok. Here\'s an update. It\'s spreading quicker than I thought. I\'m really starting to get worried. It\'s like the green on his shell is fading, and all you can see is the lines between the spots on his shell. Man oh man...I\'m starting to get worried!
deesygirl

Did you raise the temp in his tank? It should really be closer to 78. However, hatchlings are best kept around 82. When the temp is between 66-72 it is referred to as the dead zone. It is to warm to hibernate yet to cold to stimulate hunger.
Try tempting him with good smelly protien. Like tuna packed in water and drained well. Fresh fish is another good one. Mine like Halibut. The butcher will usually give you the scraps and it really does not take much to feed the little guys. You can also dip the fish in a calcium powder.
It is sometimes tough to tell when a little one has soft shell. Often times their shells are a little soft when they are young. You can tell by \"very gently\" pressing on the underside and back bottom edge of the shell. It is very important not to press hard as you do not want to injure him. If the shell fells spongy and soft you probably should take him to a vet. If he is eating it is easy to give them calcium to reverse the effect. However with him not eating he will probably need an injection of a calcium solution.
Good luck.
Raven
Level 1
Level 1

Ok. Well I mean I have had Booger for about hmmm....I\'d say about 6-8 months now and he was doing fine. But I don\'t know. I\'m going to give it a couple of more days to see if he starts basking.
l8or g8or

The reason I said to lower the water temperature is so that he will go to the area where it is warm - the basking area.
Raven
Level 1
Level 1

That\'s exactly what I thought...I mean it only makes sense. Thanks lot for that advice. I think I\'m also going to switch back to the old gravel he liked. Thanks again. I will be posting updates.
Raven
Level 1
Level 1

I was also wondering, could it be that he\'s shedding his shell?
  • Information