Baby? I think? feeding

Discussions about turtles.
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

Still one more question... about how fast are these little guys supposed to grow. how large should they be at what ages about.. that kind of thing. I want to make sure I can keep her normal and healthy.
Last edited by Sennyo on Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

Your RES is not very old at all, maybe 2-3 months. They can grow pretty fast when eating a lot. It seems that they double in size every 3-4 months during the first year. You are feeding her fine for her size. Twice a day, as much as she can eat in 5-8 minutes. Remove any excess after this time. As aturtle gets older you can cut back to once a day and then once every other day. Try different foods with her; dried shrimp, blood worms, cooked chicken, and feeder guppies when she is a little larger, in addition to her every day pellets or sticks. Turtles are more carnivorous at a younger age, needing some extra protein to grow.(No red meat though. Too much protein will cause some shell growth problems.) As she gets older you will want to give her less meat and more veggies and plants.
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you VERY muchly :) I was just making sure I wasn\'t feeding her too much. I know my betas\'ll beg untill they explode. *chuckle* We give her little bits of chicken every now and then when we have it for dinner. And she feasted with the rest of the family at thanksgiving. Good to know that I wasn\'t mislead about the turkey.. :/ She seemed to enjoy it at least.

thanks very much again!! As soon as I can get some pictures of her that dont turn out fuzzy I\'ll post them :)
  • Information