Filter Question

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
stuffigot
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 red ear sliders in a 10 gallon tank.
Currently I have a duetto 100 and it STINKS!!!
It stops circulating water after a few days!
What filter is best?

Is a cannister filter to big for a 10 gallon tank? Money is not an issue... Just looking to find a way to not clean the tanks as often as every 2 weeks. If so how often do you clean a tank with a cannister filter?
l8or g8or

How big are your turtles? A 10 gallon tank really isn\'t big enough, even for hatchlings. I prefer to skip all the inbetween sizes of tanks, and go for the biggest! The bigger your tank is, the easier it will be to keep clean. A lot of people on the board vote for the Fluval filters - I have both canister (404) and the internal 3 plus. They are economical and work very well. Big Als online has very good prices.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I agree go big right away. Fluval 304 or 404
stuffigot
Level 1
Level 1

My turtles are small (bout 2 inch shell length each). I bought the 10 gallon tank because the guy at the pet shop said that will be enough for the size turtles I have.

How are the Marineland cannisters? I heard the the fluval are tough to clean and maintain. While the marineland (Magnum series) are good for beginers.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I keep hearing that the Fluval is hard to clean, but I don\'t see what is so difficult about it.

1 turn off
2 shut hose valve off
3 disconnect hose valve
4 pick up canister and take to a sink
5 disasemble and clean
6 put back together
7 re attach hose valve
8 turn on
  • Information