I don\'t have a turtle...I have a dog!

Discussions about turtles.
jonicus
Level 1
Level 1

Okay my turtle is a two year old RES with only three feet (birth defect). Ever since I got him (when he was about 2 months old) he constantly comes to the side of the tank and begs for food. After one year he even began to hold his mouth open, stretching his neck up!

Now as I am replying to some posts I let him run around on the floor. Everytime I get up to get something or what not he follows me! Now he\'s sitting at my feet with one foot on my toe just starring up at me! Argh!

The pet store says he is the most affable turtle they have ever seen. WheN i take him to Petsmart I put him in a tupperware bucket with a soaked towel on the bottom and he sits there with his neck stretched up, looking around (think dog hanging its head out the car window) and when people come up to see him he openes his mouth and sort of.....hops around.

Oh yeah he has apparetly begun to enjoy being rubbed under the chin. Sighhh what am I going to do with him. He\'s a regular attention convention! lol

Jonathan (and Stumpy the turtle with three feet)
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL COMPANION!!! I CAN ONLY HOPE MY TURTLE WILL BE AS FRIENDLY AS YOURS AS HE GROWS OLDER
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

I hate to say it, but I\'m very envious of you!! Our little guy won\'t even eat, much less play like that. I guess he\'s still pretty new (we\'ve had him about 3 months). I\'m worried because he won\'t eat anything at all. I\'ve only seen him take one bite! We\'ve been taking him out of his normal tank and putting him in a separate area to eat (with no luck). I\'m starting to wonder if he\'s just overly stressed by us touching / handling him so much.??
spoonz

The same here we\'ve had our res for about 7 months and every time we handle it, it takes about 40 min. after he\'s back in his tank before he comes out again. The kids thinks hes broken, hehehe. but when anyone approches the tank he runs and hides behind stuff and dosen\'t come out untill well after your gone. hmmm. I can only pray that he\'ll get used to us and like it, or at least be sociable ..
Spoonz
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle, a map turtle, used to beg for food as well. He began to recognize the green food stick container, and would even eat certain foods right out of my hand. He definitely doesn\'t like to be pet under his chin, though.
Jenn

i hope my turtle acts even a little bit like that when she settles in. She\'s \"stumpy\" too, her front legs are deformed (not sure why, she has a questionable past. It sure doesn\'t stop her from getting where she wants to go though! Enjoy your litte \"puppy\" of a turtle.
deesygirl

With the exception of Stew :), all of mine act that way. People love to come and visit my babies. They all so friendly and sociable. I feel it has alot to do with trust. Lucky even calls to me. She pops her head out of the water and then blows all the air out while putting her head back under. She will do this 4-5 times until I go over to the tank. She then climbs out on the basking area and streches her neck out for a rub. Only problem is they all come running when my hand goes in the tank. Sweet pea will climb right up my arm, well, at least she trys. Stew, my odd ball, likes to eat out of your hand but hiss when you when you try to pick him up. He settles down once you hold him for a minute. Does not like rubbing though. He snaps at us when we put his shell cream on. He does not relly try to bite he is just telling us he is uncomfortable. That is how he got his name. We told him to behave or we would throw him in the stew. (He knows we are not serious.)
Because all of mine are different ages and sizes. (REB is the size of a quarter and Sweet Peas shell is 8 1/4\" and the rest fall in between) and were rescued or purchased at different ages, I feel that All RES can act this way if they trust you and are comfortable in there surroundings. You are doing a great job. It is so nice to have the trust and companionship of these little guys. The best thing of all THEY DON\"T BARK!!
  • Information