Sand cleaning!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
jonicus
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know a good method for cleaning sand?!? I have white calicfied sand in my tank and it can get very dirty. So I usually spoon it out (a slow process) into a tupperware contaniner and run hot water over it, shaking to let stuff float to the top that I Can strain off. But is there an easier way!?

Some of the junk that builds up is very small and fine (food for example) and it just kind of falls right through my mesh strainer/cleaner. The sand is very expensive (about eight dollars per bag but its too good for him not to buy) and I would like to find the best way to strain/clean it without loosing too much of the sand in the process!

Any ideas?
Thanks much
Jonathan
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I don\'t know how to hwlp you except for to tell you not to use the sand???, but you probably don\'t want to hear that.

I think it is safe to say 99% of the turtle owners on these pages are not use it.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

I have to agree..LOSE the sand.I would not recomend using gravel either.If your turt s eat it can cause serious problems!!!
l8or g8or

sorry... I have to agree. You will save yourself a lot of headaches if you get rid of the sand. I put a layer of vaseline on the underside of my tanks, and put aquarium backing on it. It has the appearance of having something on the bottom without the hassle.
  • Information