How do the shells grow?

Discussions about turtles.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

My sliders are growing, but what changes on their shells should I expect to see. My "OES"(orange eared slider from Brazil) are having darker outlines on their shell pattern, almost separating!! Is it normal, or should I be worried, please help.

Billy
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

the way i have watched mine it seems like they start to shed. most like their skin.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

i guess i should have explained some more. it always looks like their shells is going to come up and expose a new shell underneath. it turns pale and begins to peel off in chunks. it also seems to do this a chunk at a time. in one section at a time.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

my turtle only shed their skin on their neck and legs, their shells are not peeling. It's just the outline of the pattern getting darker and seem to separate. I'm beginning to really worry now.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

nope its normal for them to shed skin. sounds like they are just having a growth spurt. the only time to worry is if you see a crack in the shell. if the shell cracks and peels ~that is the worry time. your babies are fine. don't worry so much. i know there is some cream on the market to rub on their shells, but dang if i can't ahold of anyone who knows what it is. if i find out i will let you know.
just remember that the only time to worry is cracking and bleeding. if it just looks like they are growing and begining to become wider they are fine.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks so much, I start to see it now, their shell expanded, that's why it seems separating, and now the shell is starting to peel very slowly. How often do they peel their shell and how long is the process usually take?

by the way, my quiet one Leroy had his first kill yesterday, and he shared the fish with Jackson.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

TERRIFIC. Mine do the same. they seem to enjoy sharing when it comes to killing. odd. LOL
I have noticed that mine shed aprox. every 2 to 3 months. but really it just depends on how fast they are growing. sometimes have a major growth spurt can be a health hazarrd. just watch them and make sure that the shell is not becoming deformed. but it sounds like to me you have some very healthy turtles. =o)
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

Well, I got both of my turtles at the time when I had no experience at all, their shell shape and pattern is not exactly symatrical. It's not too deformed but I'm pretty sure it's not perfectly normal neither. I can only hope for the best and provide the best I can give, right?
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

right and with the proper diet and being as young as they are they will probably grow correctly from now on. their shells will probably even out.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

right and with the proper diet and being as young as they are they will probably grow correctly from now on. their shells will probably even out.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

so, their shell will even out later on!!
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Thanks alot.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

welcome! glad to be of help.
  • Information