I was just wondering...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Nugbucket

Hello everyone. I have 2 turtles, both wildcaught. One is a painted turtle and 1 is a snapping turtle. (I live in New England) The painted turtle is 3 1/2\" long and is 20 years old. (my uncle caught him the year I was born) He lives in a 20 gallon tank. The snapping turtle is 2 1/2\" long. I am unsure of his age but he\'s lived with me for 2 years. He lives in a 10 gallon tank, I plan on getting a 20 for him soon. Both tanks are filterd and have bubblers going at all times.
These turtles appear healthy, but recently the painted turtle stopped eating. I know he got kind of cold the last month (about 60 -64 degrees) but I moved him and now he maintains a good 68-70. Does he think he\'s hibernating??? I feed both turtles zoo med aquatic turtle food and reptomin daily. (I just started with the zoo med) Is there anything else I can give them to supplement their diet? I want them to be as happy as they can be. Sometimes in the summer I feed the snapper small crayfish and minnows. Is this good for him or is it bad? I know this is kind of long winded, sorry. Thank you for any replies, <NB>
Greg2255288
Level 2
Level 2

you might wat to raise the temperature in the tank to about 74-78 degrees. as for the crayfish and minnows, that is ok for him, because if they were wild caught, then thats what they would eat out in the wild. also teh food you are feeding them now is ok, but you might want to put some feeder fish in with the painted, alo try some vegetable, like romaine lettuce.he also might not be eat8ing b/c he is not used to the food yet. Hope i helped
  • Information