HELP! Sandy won\'t eat still!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

I know you are all probably getting tired of reading the same message from me, but I continue to worry about this little RES eating. I feel that I\'ve tried everything! I put him in a separate container with warm water. At first, I was trying to feed him with tweezers (like tuna / chicken) but he just ran or hid from my hand. So then I dropped the food in the feeding tray before I put him in there. I just knew this would work! But no, he just swam right through the food and literally took his little foot and brushed it out of his eyes!! I am become very frustrated. This is actually my 11 yr old daughter\'s pet, but I just can\'t ignore the fact that he won\'t eat. I am really concerned.

Do you think I should just feed him in his regular tank? I know it means more cleaning, but I thought may he\'d be more comfortable there.

Could it be that he\'s not eating because he can\'t really dive in the water? I mean, it\'s about 4 inches deep in his regular tank and about 2 inches in the feeding tank. Is this just not deep enough? I just don\'t know what to do and I\'m extremely worried.

PLEASE HELP
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

First of all, this is the first time i am reading your message so i don\'t noe how old is your RES. The warm water will improve RES appetide. Try those small cans of shrimp. They simply LOVE it. But make it as a treat but not as regular meals. It\'s not very nutritious.
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

If he is too young, he won\'t be able to eat too many food. And will prefer meats to vegetables. Feed him twice a day.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the input. He\'s pretty young, I think. We\'ve had him for about 3 months now. He\'s about the size of a silver dollar.
jonicus
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem with my RES. He is about two years old and up until about three months ago was eating the pellet food (going bonkers over the shrimp treats) but then he just suddenly stopped. I was about to take him to the vet when I decided to give crickets a try. He eats them right up.

My suggestion, depending on how big he is, is to try and get some of the small meal worms. They sink and since he won\'t eat from the tweezers try putting them in a corner away from the filters or right in the center of the tank. If he eats the shrimp then Im guessing he is doing okay. Is he yawning or sneezing a lot? If so that\'s not good.

My little guy as always come to the side of the tank and begged like a dog (mouth open and all) and loves to chase crickets.

Here is an idea to get your turtle to warm up to you. Dip your finger in the water then in the shrimp treats, coating the tip of your finger. THen hold it out and let him take it off your finger. He won\'t bite hard enough to hurt or break the skin or hurt (mine has only recently begun to try and take my finger off!) but at least it will get him used to coming to YOU for the food.

good luck and let us know.
Jonathan
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

Well, no luck so far. Sandy is still not eating anything. He doesn\'t swim. He just sits on the rock. He doesn\'t sneeze or seem to have trouble breathing. He swims fine when I put him in the water (he swims back to the rock)! How long will he go without eating you think?
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

Well, no luck so far. Sandy is still not eating anything. He doesn\'t swim. He just sits on the rock. He doesn\'t sneeze or seem to have trouble breathing. He swims fine when I put him in the water (he swims back to the rock)! How long will he go without eating you think?
  • Information