how old?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
maegan
Level 1
Level 1

how old do your turtles have to be before mating?

Maegan
liz844
Level 1
Level 1

i think your turtles have to be about 5 or so...at least I think they do and the female is probably about 6 inches or so...
maegan
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you and if you know anything about babies (RES) could you send me that information? As I posted in the general discussion I\'m thinking of adopting a female and her babies. Can you give me any info?
Thanks
liz844
Level 1
Level 1

My two turtles that I have were accully babies when i got them and I was clueless on about how to raise them...but what can I say you live you learn right? anyways baby res when you first have them they are still getting the concept of swimming and commin up for air...you don\'t want to have too much water in there that they can drown but you want to have enought in there still...about an 2 inches or so dependin on thier size. also you will want to have a basking light and somewhere that they can get out of the water TOTALLY and bask in the sunlight. When feeding them make sure the food is kept small if you want to feed them anything else like fruits or vegis or some worms or crickets they are going to have to be cut up! If you don\'t have a filter of some sort you will also need to clean out the tank every two days you need to keep the tank exstremly clean b/c baby res can get sicker more easily...I think that is about everything...if I left anything out or you still have Q\'s let me know
jennylei
Level 1
Level 1

I totally may be wrong but I thought males had to be 3 years old and females 5 years old. I got my res when they were babies from China Town in NYC, and I learned that the more you handle them and touch them when they are young when they grow up and even when they are just a year or two old they are much more comfortable. Now this is totally just my own experience, but I got one at first and just had her for a full year and she got losts of attention, then I got a male and he didn\'t get nearly as much and the difference is showing just after having them together one year. So that is my two bits! Good Luck
Last edited by jennylei on Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maegan wrote:
how old do your turtles have to be before mating?

Maegan
Turtles have to be a least 5 years of age before mating.
write back
bb
  • Information