babies (RES)

Discussions about turtles.
maegan
Level 1
Level 1

In our local pet shelter they have a female turtle with her babies I am thinking of adopting them what do I feed them? can you tell me how to care for them properly? thank you very much!
Maegan
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

I am happy you are doing your research before you adopt these turtles. You said you were thinking about taking a Mom and her babies. Depending on how many babies, you will need a fairly large tank! You will also need a filter, UVB light, basking area, and basking light, and a heater. All of these stuff adds up...quick! If you do decide to take them in know that they take a lot more care and money then one first expects. As far as food goes they enjoy pellets, veggies, shrimp, feeder guppies, etc. Babies tend to prefer meat products more and grow more herbivorous when they get older. Good Luck with whatever choose you make!
liz844
Level 1
Level 1

in my little request place I also wrote some stuff for you about baby res...my two turtles that I have were babies when i got them and now are about a year old so I got lotas of experiance from these two if you still have some q\'s but they require alot more work at least I think than regualar full grown res...
maegan
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the info. I think they sold a lot of her babies because they said she just had a \"couple.\" How many do they usually have? I have right now an 100gal tank on a stand, is that big enough? But what I don\'t know is how full i should fill it because the mother will need a lot more water then the little ones won\'t she? And if I fill it up enough for her will the babies be ok?
thanks
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

A 100 gallon tank is perfect. And yes fill it up! The babies will be fine. Just make sure that the Mom and the babies both have a place to get out and bask! A turtle has to be able to turn there self over if they are upside down, if they dont they can die, so the more water the better. Dont worry the babies wont drown.
maegan
Level 1
Level 1

Do you know how many she should have at a time? Because they only have 3 babies! I would have thought a lot more but maybe not but then again knowing our pet shelter they might not have looked after them well and they could have died or they could have been adopted out but nobody wanted the mom I guess?

Thanks again
  • Information