out of the water?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
tico333

how long can my turtle stay out of the water?
does it matter? its a snapper, sometiems i take him out of the tank and put him in a container with just a little water so he can get it if he wants, but never know how long i can leave him in there, help!
l8or g8or

First off, what is your reason for taking him out of the water? If you are trying to treat the sore on his neck, it may be a good idea to put him in a dry tank. He can stay in there but you need to let him soak for a 1/2 hour 3 to 4 times a day - that is when you would let him eat and do his duty. I would apply something to the sore to aid the healing, like Polysporin. Someone else on the board might be able to recommend something, as I havne\'t had this problem (keeping my fingers crossed.) You really need to watch him when he\'s in a dry tank, he could easily end up on his back and not be able to right himself and die.....
Last edited by l8or g8or on Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

Well a few months ago my smallest of my RES\' had to have minor ear surgery(ear infection).I had to keep him out of his tank for at least three days while his sores were open.They can go a couple of days w/out eating so I would seriously recomend keeping him out of the water completely for a couple of days.He will be fine.Just keep an eye on him so if he flips over you can help back on his belly.GOOD LUCK!
  • Information