turt sleeps under sea shell--OK??

Discussions about turtles.
turt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just inherited a baby RES while some friends went away. I put a sea shell in his fish bowl so he could bask on top of it. However, he isn\'t using it to stand on! He\'s using it as a second shell! He looks so funny walking around or sitting under that shell with his head sticking out. Sometimes he gets totally under the shell though and I don\'t want him to drown that way. Could he unconsciously commit suicide with this sea shell? I don\'t know so at night I take it out. I leave it in during the day, since I can sporadically monitor him then. Bottom line: can he safely stay under this shell? And he hasn\'t been eating well since he\'s been hiding there. He seemed so comfortable a couple days ago, swimming around now and then. I don\'t know what he\'s hiding for now. Maybe it reminds him of his mother.

-Turt
Greg2255288
Level 2
Level 2

First of all, \"Fish Bowl\"? how big is the fish bowl? Second of all if your that worried, buy a different ting for him to bask on, and did you wash the seashell really well?
turt
Level 1
Level 1

He\'s only an inch and a half long. He came with a fish bowl. I\'m turtle sitting him for my roommate\'s friend. The fishbowl is standard size. I put him in the bath tub once so he could explore a big space (and I even threw his rocks in there), but he was really scared by it. If the friends don\'t want him anymore, I\'m definitely going to invest in a 20 gal tank. I\'ve learned SO much about turtles because of this turtle sitting experience. They are kinda high maintenance.

He seems to like to play with the shell, so I leave it in there during the day. I thought it was okay because he likes it so much, but you\'re right, if I\'m worried I should replace it with a rock.

I washed the shell and I even licked it a little. There\'s no salt taste on it.

Yes, I\'m a freak.

Turt
l8or g8or

They are very high maintenence, you are right. If your friend insists on taking him back, maybe you could print off some care sheets for him to read, and make some suggestions on the little turtles care. I pray the fish bowl is just his \"motorhome\" and not his permanent home.
turt
Level 1
Level 1

I hope so too. But obviously they don\'t care too much about him for real since they\'re already back from their trip for over a week now and still haven\'t called to check up on him. Frankly, I\'m not one for having pets anyway because I think they should be left in nature--except for like dogs and cats which are totally domesticated now. However, now that I\'ve inherited this little squirt, I want to make him as happy and feel as natural as possible in this domesticated lifestyle. Maybe when he\'s older he can live in a pond on his own, so I plan on feeding him live fish and crickets eventually. I know that the Free Willy whale is so domesticated he can\'t even survive in nature now. I don\'t want that to happen to this little fella-or girl?? So maybe I\'ll now have him forever. Will have to make sure he\'s capable before I leave him into the wild. My uncle has a big pond in Michigan. But that would mean I\'d have to travel there. Too bad people don\'t care more for animals. I am a vegetarian for over a year now too. Frankly I don\'t trust his owners too much to take really good care of him, but if they want him back I\'ll have to hand him over. Maybe if I play it low, they\'ll leave for Oregon soon--where they\'re supposed to go real soon--and they\'ll totally forget about Turd, his name, so I can take care of him. Turtles are soo much responsibility. I almost feel like I have a baby! Well I do too, but it\'s just a turtle baby!

-Turt
turt
Level 1
Level 1

P. S. this is just his motor home for now. If his owners won\'t take him back, I\'m getting him a 20 gallon tank asap. I clean his bowl every day too, to relieve you. Obviously I\'m a little obsessed with having him comfortable if I\'m even on this site. Thanks for caring and sharing. Turd is pretty vivacious and eats two to four of those Nutrafin teeny sticks a day.
  • Information