doesn\'t stay level when swimming

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Mike

I have raised red ears for about nine years. A friend got a red ear (very small)from a flee market. She gave it to me to care for it after she found out the care it will need. I keep him in a heated tank (about 78) with a basking light and uv bulb. he was doing good. But now when he swims he tips a little to the left a little and has stopped eating. he will lift his head to the light but will keep his eyes close most the time and spends about 65% in the water and the rest in the basking area. he dowsn\'t swim much he just rests.

any help would be appreciated
Mike

his home is heated enough. it needs to be 78 or higher. he has a respiratory infection. his home actually needs to be 82 or so to keep him warmer since he is sick. you can take him to the vet and get some baytril. it helps knock out the infection. the vet visit will be expensive probably. red eared sliders are very hard to take care of, they require alot. do you use a water conditioner and make sure your turtle has vitamin a and calcium in his/her diet? thats very important as well. i wish you luck :)
jonicus
Level 1
Level 1

I agree its probably the respitory problem. Try covering the whole tank and all with a blanket (leaving only the sunlamp exposed) and turn up the heat. I\'ve found this really helps get the temperature above the water warm.
Mike

Has anyone had experience with baytril? The vet gave me some and said to put him about 1\\2 cup of water and mix a half of a dropper full in the water and let him soak in it for a couple hours twice a day. Is there way more effective way of treatment with baytril?

Thank You
Mike

i was givin a medicine dropper and had to get it in my turtles mouth. it was really hard (i had a little baby turtle) i eventually learned to hold in his arms while gently holding his head and making him open his mouth. he didnt like it, but at least i knew he was getting the medicine.
  • Information