Behavioral Changes...strange...!! Help!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
LHUTurtle15

My red-earred slider Turtle has been acting strange over the past couple weeks.
I am a college student and took her up to school with me 4 hrs from my hometown. In October, she took the ride fine, and loved her new home for the winter (100gal rubbermaid pale, with awesome filtering system and heat lamp). I had all grounds covered with that, I researched. Anyway, I took her back home for Christmas break where she was in our basement in a wahing tub with lil water (she has een there before and survived the winter). But now she has been back to school for 2 weeks and when I turn the light on she gets all rammy! She attacked the filter, biting it and scratchign at it...I dont get it! HELP!
She doesn\'t hibranate really...but when she walks around my house she goes for the spot under the bean bags on the floor and stays there till i put her back in the water...should I leave her there? Is it ok that she is out of the water for the winter?... or should I set up a warm place that she can chill out in her 100 gal tub?? I dont know...she isnt eatin but that is normal for her...HELP!! I am really scared for her.. PLEASE ANYONE!
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

If she did not hibernate during winter. And she stay out of water most of the time. I think she is ill(hopefully not). But for the behavior, my female RES is more active than the male. She acts as if trying to get out of the tank and even tried to bite at the pebbles in her tank.
I can\'t give you much help as there are no winter at the place i live. Hope your RES get well soon.
jonicus
Level 1
Level 1

I have a two year old male RES. Mine use to hit the filter all the time just when he\'s begging for food or what not so I found this nifty plastic thing at the pet store that fits in my 20gal tank that lets water go through and all but not him. Unfortunaly I dont think it helps too much with the filtering!

What\'s the water temperature like? Do you have any dark places for her to hide? I just recently learned that they need a dark place they can crawl under and hide sometimes; I found a couple of sqaure-ish rocks and a flat piece of slate that sits in the center of the tank so he can sit under it but doesn\'t have to worry about turning around!

She could very well be ill. Like I asked one other lady is she yawning or sneezing a lot?

Sorry I couldn\'t be much more help but I would love to know more about your tank. It sounds heck of a lot cheaper than a 100gal standard glass tank; $100 at the pet store ugh!

take care and good luck
Jonathan
Raven
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what all this talk about hibernating is. Cause I posted on here about how my turtle isn\'t basking, and his shell is now starting to fade/turn white. Any ideas?
  • Information