Need some suggestions from the vets about tanks

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
lilblackgirl

Hey all, i really enjoy looking through the message boards and sites posted as it gives me great ideas about tanks and setups and all, but after having 3 red ears for about 4-5 months, i have some issues and need some ideas please.

My biggest issue is keeping the tank clean. It\'s a 20 gallon tank with 3 turtles. I know that\'s not a lot of room, but they seem to be pretty happy. Here\'s the issue. I find myself having to empty and clean the tank once a week. I\'ve got a pretty good filter that is rated for a 50 gallon tank, but i\'m cleaning it twice a week. I keep the tank in my bathroom on my counter as it\'s a great place to watch my boys and to clean and fill the tank. I\'ve had rocks and pebbles on the bottom in the past, but they chowed down on the pebbles and most larger rocks I\'ve found are painted and they eat the paint. So, as of now, the bottom is empty. I have a basking plate suspended from the lip of the tank that they enjoy sitting on. There\'s the rundown, now the questions.

1. Do I need a larger tank?
2. If so, it\'ll need to go somewhere else which makes cleaning 4x harder. how do you with large tanks clean them if they aren\'t directly next to a sink or bathtub?
3. How can I keep from having to completely clean the tank once a week? I\'ve become pretty proficient in cleaning, but I\'m reading that most of you are only doing it once a month.
4. For those of you who have built plexiglass basking beaches into the tank, how do you clean? Isn\'t it difficult?
5. What\'s the best type of filter? I\'ve seen canisters, the waterfall types, etc. Suggestions?
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I think you need a larger tank. I have a Fluval 304 filter and I wouldn\'t have to change the water for a month if i didn\'t want to, but i change the water out( half of it every week). Its expensive but you won\'t fin anything better.
l8or g8or

You definately need a larger tank. They appear happy because they have no choice. I have a Fluval 404 on my 100 gallon tank and it does a pretty decent job. I do a water change every single day while they are eating in a seperate tank. Joe is in the 100 gallon, Cecil & Fazsha in a 35 gallon, and baby Moley is in a 20. Remember, they are swimming, drinking and eating in the same water that they urinate, and defecate. That would be like you drinkin out of your toilet.... The bigger the tank, the easier it is to keep clean. I do a complete water change almost every single week. I did have a plexiglass basking area, and I simply took a scrub brush to it and rinsed it off.
Last edited by l8or g8or on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

Hi! I have a 29 gallon tall w/2 RES\'..I just bought a Fluval 304 last month and my tank so far has been extremly clean and less smelly. I also have nothing in the bottom of my tank;it\'s easier to keep clean(my opinion).
  • Information