how much water

Discussions about turtles.
cindifer6421
Level 1
Level 1

I have a twenty gallon tank for my turtles and I was wondering how high i should fill up the tank. I fill it up so they can stick their noses up to the air, is this right?
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Fill it up,

Make sure the turtle can get out of the water easily to a basking area.

Make sure the basking area is not too close to the light. (85-90 degrees)
l8or g8or

Often people are afraid that their turtle will drown with a full tank. Turtles drown when they get stuck under something, or they flip over and cannot right themselves. They need a sufficient ammount of water so they CAN right themselves.
sumbuddyluvsu

cindifer6421 wrote:
I have a twenty gallon tank for my turtles and I was wondering how high i should fill up the tank. I fill it up so they can stick their noses up to the air, is this right?

Hi there...I dont know if this is any help to you. but I recently adopted a couple of red ear slider turtles and I was wondering the same question. and I was told for a 30 gal. tank the water should be 6-12 inches. that way the basking area keeps dry.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

i have a 10 gallon tank my RES is almost lol an inch long and about 1/2 inch wide and i filled the tank 2 1/2 inchs of water is that enough?
comments and asnwers appreciated
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

i have a 10 gallon tank my RES is almost lol an inch long and about 1/2 inch wide and i filled the tank 2 1/2 inchs of water is that enough?
comments and asnwers appreciated
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

The rule is fill the tank to the amount of the width of your turtle. But My turtles when i got them were 1 inch...and i put them in a 40 gal tank and fill it up to the top! With of course a basking area! Turtle will only drown if they flip over and can\'t get back up..or if they get stuck some where..so as long as you have no where it can get stuck...and access to the basking area...i say fill it up!
  • Information