Newbie needs help with RES

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

My brother got a baby RES as a gift from a family who kept it in the garage (during the winter in ny). i encouraged my brother to take it so we can help it out. my brother quickly lost interest in it and ignored it. i decided to take the turtle as my own. after he warmed up to his new tank, he was eating, swimming, doing normal turtle things. then he started getting sluggish and lost his appetite. after about a week of this behavior i decided to feed him almost by hand (i would drop the food directly in front of him) and he seemed to be eating again. he recently started this behavior again and refuses to eat no matter what. today as i was cleaning the tank, i picked him up and noticed his shell was very soft. i noticed a little chip from his shell was coming off, so i assumed he was just growing and it was normal. when i went to put him back in, the edge of his shell looked like it was about to fall off. i want to know if this is a calcium deficiancy or just normal. i have been feeding him dried shrimp (he never liked pellets) if that helps.

you have to feed him pellets too, make sure they have calcium AND vitamin a in them. thats why his shell gets soft. he needs more nutrition. good luck!
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

If your turtle needs more calcium and vits. you might want to try using a seperate herpative additive.You can sprinkle powder on your shrimp. Also check your PH level of your water.Quick question...how do you have your tank set up?
Last edited by Heather on Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information