Tiny (baby RES) gasping/gagging...HELP!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
noadee
Level 1
Level 1

My baby RES is acting sick- she is less active and will not eat. I have seen her sticking her neck way out and opening her mouth as if something is caught in her throat. THis has been going on for a couple of days and I have no ides what could be causing it. I have a bigger RES in the tank with her, and he is fine! PLease respond with any suggestions on how I could help little tiny!

my turtle did this right before he died. i dont know what it is exactly. but i do know my turtle had a respiratory infection. i had been giving him his medicine for several days and he had just started eating again, but then i noticed him doing that and he died just a few minutes later. i am sorry i cant offer any more help. call a vet and ask.

i know what your talking about my turtle is doing the same thing if you know anything i can do please let me know and im very sorry to here your turtle is like that poor thing my little guy is sick to i took him to the emergency hospital and they gave me some med. but so far he is still the same.if you know anything please help me
Sakmet
Level 1
Level 1

Please take her to see a veterinarian. This kind of behavior is synonymous with respiratory infections. Is she swimming lopsided in the water or out basking excessively? These are indicators that the problem could be far along. In the meantime, raise the water temp to 85 degrees and keep her warm. When you get her to the vet, they may be able to help her. Let me know how it goes!
  • Information