Sick turtle - I think

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
yelexia
Level 1
Level 1

I just got 2 red-eared sliders for Christmas, and at first they were both active, especially the bigger one, but now the little one doesn\'t move around at all, and when I feed it it doesn\'t eat at all. I\'ve tried feeding the two seperately and different types of food, and none of them work. And even though it\'s kinda cold, the bigger one is still moving around a lot. Any ideas?

keep it warm! and separate them so both dont get sick. take him to the vet. (it will be expensive!) i just had my turtle die. i noticed he wouldnt eat, then he stoppped moving around, so i took him to the vet. he had a respiratory infection. i was giving him his medicine as i was supposed to. he started to get better, and started eating again. last night he died. i dont know what went wrong. i guess he was just too weak from not eating in soo many days. but please take care of your babies! i am sooo sad, i feel like a bad mommy :(
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Probably not sick, just cold. You need to have the temp at lest 78 degrees. Thet urtle is going into hibernation. Warm him up slow and ....
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

BradleyChris, sometimes (like me for example) people are given pets before they can do research. Like for a Christmas present. Like Yelexia once I was given my RES I researched everything and I now have two very healthy RES. We are all here to learn.

Val_smiles wrote:
We are all here to learn.
thank you :)
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

bradleychris wrote:
Probably not sick, just cold. You need to have the temp at lest 78 degrees. Thet urtle is going into hibernation. Warm him up slow and DO SOME REASEARCH BEFORE YOU GET A PET
How would this person do research on something before they got it if they recieved it as a present?????It\'s obvious to me that thay are trying to learn about their new pet!! That\'s why we are all here to learn and to help each other NOT DOWN them.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I too was given my turtle before I could do any research. Actually it was given to my husband. He mentioned something about a turtle one day, and the next day there was a turtle in a bucket outside the door to his office. We researched after getting it, it was our only choice!
yelexia
Level 1
Level 1

How would this person do research on something before they got it if they recieved it as a present?????It\'s obvious to me that thay are trying to learn about their new pet!! That\'s why we are all here to learn and to help each other NOT DOWN them.[/quote]

Thanks so much! It\'s true. I\'m doing my best, but it was a complete surprise and I\'m still learning!
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Well sorry, I guess everyones turtles just showed up on there door steps without any concern of the owners. My fault
  • Information