Blind Turtle

Discussions about turtles.

I have two baby turtles I got off some shady Chinese lady in a little pet store. Anyways, Today was the first day I've noticed one of them eating (since a month).

One of them is blind in one eye (The eye shrank and is visibly smaller than the other). Although when I wave my finger around the other eye, he doesn't seem to respond much either (maybe blind in both eyes)? It's kind of darkish colored (the shell is brown) and he's not as active as the other one.

My Question is, can he still eat even though he's blind?
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

We have a blind turtle that sounds similar to yours (one bad eye; one eye that looks normal but she doesn't seem to see from it).

We have to feed her by hand. We feed her Reptomin--when we tap her on the mouth with it and she usually tries to bite it in response. (And she's gotten my finger by mistake a few times when I wasn't paying enough attention!) She is much better at grabbing at live fish we dangle in front of her. She sometimes grabs at worms but that's not her favorite food.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

When my wife came home with a two year old turtle I had to help it eat for the first bit too. The other two three year old turtles tended to nip at him and eat the food before he could get any. The easiest way to feed him was get a fish and knock it out then dangle just the tip of its head in the water above the turtle. He would eat the fish whole. Just had to keep pushing the two females away so that he could eat in piece. Now on feedings he is eating almost normaly. I still try and give him a fish every week. It has taken two months or so but he is almost acting normal (like the other two).
  • Information