I can help in the next 24 hours.

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

Hello mt name is joe allen i posted this same message before and the admin took it off. I want every one to know that i am sorry if i insulted your intellagence in any way. I would also like to state that i am not a profesional on reptiles. And have had no special training so with that i would like to say that i myself am the proud owner of 5 diffrent species of turtles which has helped to extend my knowledge of turtles. I have also done hours of extensive research in order to help my turtles and so i could help people like you that may need a fast response. If you do have a question please feel free to e-mail me and i will get back to you as soon as posible. PLEASE USE E-MAIL ONLY. I can help you. If i don\'t know the answer i will find it.
lily
Level 1
Level 1

what is your email address?
l8or g8or

joeallen - the reason that it was taken off is that if you receive personal email from everyone, how will others benefit from this? The message board would not exist if it weren\'t for people posting on the board. So if you have questions and/or answers, post them on the board.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

snoopy
Level: Jr. Member
IP: Logged

Fungus?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a map turtle that I have had for over a year. I recently moved it into my classroom. (I teach high school science). He has been in his new surroundings for about a month, and he was doing fine for the first two weeks, but recently has changed. He stopped basking as regularly, as he had, and has not eaten as much lately. Today I noticed that a piece of his shell is peeling off.

The things that have changed recently are:
I changed his lightbulb, added a low wattage heater, and added a few feeder goldfish. He ate two of the fish last week, but hasn\'t eaten much since.

He is housed in a 30 gallon long tank that is about half filled with water. I have a plastic float in the corner under a heat lamp that he is able to get up on easily. I feed him Tetra reptile sticks and feeder goldfish and guppies, and put a turtle health conditioner in the tank once in a while. I do half takn water changes about once every week and a half to two weeks.

What should I do??
Please help!
l8or g8or

Since you have changed the basking light, have you checked the temperature of the basking area? Also check the temperature of the water. Some shell peeling is normal. I changed my Diamondbacks basking area and he wouldn\'t use it, after a full week of not basking, I had to change things back - he\'s his old self again.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you,
Actually I changed the basking lamp back to the old type of light bulb today. I will see him again tomorrow, as I have to go into school for something, I expect to see him on the float when I go in. I also took him out for 2 hours and put him in a cardboard box with a hiding spot and a low wattage bulb shining on one end to dry him out, his shell felt and looked normal when dry, so I don\'t think he does have a fungus. Thank you for your reply.
l8or g8or

If you are a teacher, I assume you leave the building shortly after the students, do you have your light on a timer? His/her light should be left on for a good 10 -12 hours a day.
Last edited by l8or g8or on Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you for your concern,
Yes, I have the light on a timer, it is on for about 12 hours a day. He has time to bask both before and after school, so if he is spooked and won\'t go up with the kids around, he can still bask.
  • Information