Recognition?

Discussions about turtles.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Okay, here is the deal. I talk to Sally and Linus like they are little people. Literally. Whenever I'm cleaning house, or if I'm just lonely...they squeak when I walk in and beg like little puppies for food, and unbelievably they even like music. They bob their little heads and "dance." (Their preference is Britney Spears and Journey. Two very odd choices.) My question is do they recognize me? They seem to prefer me than to other people...with the exception of my brother when he is visiting. Does anyone else recognize these habits in their turtles?
Alan
Administrator
Administrator

I would have to say yes, your turtles probably recognize you. :)

I know that whenever we have guests visiting, the turtles act differently. They are spooked and very relectant to sunbathe. They also will not eat out of my hand when strangers are around.

Now when it it's just me they will let me walk right past them and talk to them without jumping in the water.;)

Have a great day!

Sliders Rule, Alligator Snappers Drool. :)
Troy

blejnbaby wrote:
My question is do they recognize me? They seem to prefer me than to other people...with the exception of my brother when he is visiting. Does anyone else recognize these habits in their turtles?
I'd have to say yes, they definately do. My two sliders are very preferential to me, and respond to me the instant I am in the room, even though I've only had them a couple of months now.
Diane
Level 1
Level 1

Absolutely yes, your turtle recognizes you.
Mine (a southern painted turtle) even comes to the call of my voice.

My husband did not believe this at first and repeated demonstrations have proved to him that Algae knows me, even if it is only as the woman who gives him food.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Most definitely:D
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

Yes, turtles recognize their owners, in particular the hands that feed them. My turtle recognizes me the minute a walk in but if it sees someone else it will turnaround and run. It\'s the most amazing thing but they recognize people and sounds. Enjoy, Abby
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles do reconize you but when they come over the tank its not to greet you its to beg for food, turtles are not social animal. Also turtles dont hear like us they can only hear deep tones.

I do not agree. I have read over and over that they hear really good. That you should not be loud around them because it can hurt their ears. I do think they know you and I do believe that they like certin music. My turtle alway sit on there rocks or stay in the corner when my kids are watching \"Hey Arnold\" I swear that they watch it with them. And when my husband comes home from work they always swim to the side of the tank where his chair is and watch him untill he gets up for dinner. But they are not one\'s that just love to get picked up and played with. They like it to them selves.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

groomzy2 wrote:
I do not agree. I have read over and over that they hear really good. That you should not be loud around them because it can hurt their ears. I do think they know you and I do believe that they like certin music. My turtle alway sit on there rocks or stay in the corner when my kids are watching \"Hey Arnold\" I swear that they watch it with them. And when my husband comes home from work they always swim to the side of the tank where his chair is and watch him untill he gets up for dinner. But they are not one\'s that just love to get picked up and played with. They like it to them selves.
Just to clear this hearing thing up i will quote a few lines from the barrons turtle book on a complete pet owners manual.

Out of all their senses \"Hearing is less acute. Turtles hear low pitched sounds best and also senses vibrations\" when choosing on where to put your aquarium or terrerium \"It must be quiet, turtles are easily disturbed and will not trive near the television... do not let vibrations from a refrigerator, stereo equipment or aquarium pump rattle your terrarium or aquarium\"

So From what the book says turtles only hear low pitched tones. but it also says that the vision of a turtle is very good thats probably why its lookin at the television, they also have a good sense of smell.
  • Information