res shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
krystal

i have 2 baby res, about 5 months old. until recently they have been happy and healthy. but now one of them has a slighty soft shell and is basking alot more than usual. she seems to have lost her appetite for the most part although i have seen her eat some. i feed them reptomin foodsticks, they have a cuttlebone floating in their tank (which they seem to completely ignore) and they have on occasion eaten feeder fish. nothing in the tank has changed. is this a calcium deficency or something else? thanks for your help.
Trtlgrl2_78
Level 1
Level 1

I wish I had some advice for you. I haven\'t had any luck at all with RES. I lost at least 4 this past year. However, have you visited http://www.turtletimes.com ? Someone on the forum there might be able to help you out. Just a suggestion.
Amanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hey don\'t worry! Shell softening can be sorted out! I also found they completely ignore cuttlefish too! Its just a matter of sneaking calcium into their diet. Look around for a turtle mix that contains vegetable pellets, shrimp etc, they are specially designed to offer a balanced diet. If he has stopped eating completely it\'s time to see a vet before things get worse, so he can give him a boost of vitamins by injection. I\'m a big fan of vitamin injections, they have saved my two terrapins twice now and one is the ripe old age of 13!

my turtle wasnt eating, and then i noticed some \'snot\' on his nose. he has a respiratory infection. the vet said its from not having enough calcium and vitamin a. i immediately went and bought some new food that had higher percentages of both, and raised the temp in his house. he still wont eat, but he should be better soon! please dont ignore your turtles health!

the only other reason he might not be eating besides being sick is if the temp is too low, but you probably know that.
and my friend that works in a pet store brought to my attention that since in the winter turtles are used to hibernating that they need a little higher temp anyway. which is probably another reason mine is sick :(
  • Information