pics of my turtles & tanks

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
l8or g8or

Just took the pics of the tanks this morning & thought I\'d share. Some of the turtle pics were taken a while ago.....

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/e ... D=49076741
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

The web page doesnt come up. I would like to see your pics though.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

Cute pics,just curious what kind of turtle is Moley? I have never seen a turtle like that...he is very cute though.
l8or g8or

Thanks... Moley is a Diamondback Terrapin. He is so full of personality and such a sweetheart.
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

we are going to be making a basking area for our turtle kiwi. we were wondering how you made Moley\'s basking area and what did you use.
Thanks!
l8or g8or

If you are truely interested, I can take photos of it for you tomorrow. I used plexiglass, suction cups, and a blow torch to bend the plexiglass. It started out similar to the ones you can by from Foster & Smith, but only cost me around $7 total.
liz844
Level 1
Level 1

I am in love with the setup of joes basking area....how on earth did you do that? its very clever!
lilblackgirl

I\'d like to find out where you found fiberglass. I\'d like to put something like this together, but no one seems to sell sheets of fiberglass like that. I\'ve been reduced to using a carrying crate or using a small acquarium and removing one of the walls.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

I have a question, How exactly do you hang our basing light on the top?..Because I would like to do the same thing to my tank.

I love the pictures of your turtles. I have aquestion -- The tank with the basking unit off to the side... how did you make that? I\'d really like to set something like that up for my turtles. I have 2 painters, there just isn\'t enough room in my tank.

Thanks a lot!!

-Mark
lilblackgirl

ok, i got started building the outside basking area. I have 6 RESs. 3 are about 6 inches and the other 3 are about the size of a silver dollar. they live in a 40 gallon tank and their basking rock sits on a planter that sits on the bottom of the tank. they love the rock. they all sit on each other under the lamp like a big family with the little ones laid out on top of one of the big ones. here\'s what i\'ve done so far:
1. Decided how big the box needed to be. I think it\'s about 15x11 with the sides being 8\" high and a nice big opening / doorway leading to the tank. I went to Home Depot and found the oldest, slowest man to help me cut the plexiglass (this really helps to kill 2 hours). i also picked up some silicone to hold together the pieces. i got home and put the box together with a ramp from the doorway long enough to reach into the tank. what i\'m discovering is that the plexiglass and silicone probably won\'t be strong enough to hold the box together when they are in there mixing it up, so I\'m going to stop by HD again today (i can\'t stay away from that store) and pick up a bunch of L-joints to secure and support the box. I also picked up a square mile of turf from HD (they won\'t sell you any less, so I\'ll be setting up a mini-golf course in my living room with the leftovers) to line the walls and ramp so the turtles can get out. I\'ll try to get some pics of it and post today when i get home. What I don\'t know is how i\'m going to hang the lamp. Currently, i\'m using the top of a 20 gallon tank suspended on the edges of the 40 gallon and i rest the lamp on that. I\'m just afraid that the lamp would melt the plexiglass, but i may be wrong.
lilblackgirl

OK, the box is almost complete and ready for use. Here are some pics i took during the build. I haven\'t tested it out yet, but will give it a try in a day or two.
http://www.xaostwentyone.com/turtles.html
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

I really love Joe\'s tank....the part where your basking area comes out of the water. How difficult was that to make?? I really would have never thought of that myself...it\'s brillian!!!!
Have you ever had any turtles escape with a setup like that?? That\'s the only part I\'d be really worried about...
  • Information