HELP??!! Glass under UVB Fixture??

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
martysnarf
Level 1
Level 1

THANKS- AS ALWAYS!!!
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Yes glass and plastic will filter the UVB light and weaken the rays. You need a screen cover. If the fixture corrodes you will have to buy a new one, but it hasn\'t happen to me yet.

I find myself with this problem too, looking for a convenient solution. Problem is that I don\'t want to get something like a full screen cover, nor do I want to mutilate the cover I have...but I do like the look of the cover, plus it keeps the smell and heat in.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

The only thing you can do is take the cover to a glass shop and have them cut holes where the lights are going to be. This way you can keep your cover, it will look proffessional and the turtle will get the proper lighting.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I don\'t know if this will work, but I was thinking of mounting a fluorescent light fixture under a cabinet. My tank is under the cabinet as well (it is at school in a science classroom, where I teach). I was thinking of one of those kitchen lights for over the sink. The light would be about 5 or 6 inches above the screen cover of the tank. Would this be adequate???
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

snoopy wrote:
I don\'t know if this will work, but I was thinking of mounting a fluorescent light fixture under a cabinet. My tank is under the cabinet as well (it is at school in a science classroom, where I teach). I was thinking of one of those kitchen lights for over the sink. The light would be about 5 or 6 inches above the screen cover of the tank. Would this be adequate???
Is there anyone who can answer my question?
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I fixture like you are sescribing is what I use. I just have it mounted to the screen cover. Works great and was a heck of alot cheaper than the fixtures from the pet shop
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

The only reason I want to put it under the cabinet is because I feed Snoopy in a separate tank, so I hvve to move the UV light and the heat lamp off of the cover every time I take her out. It gets to be a pain to constantly move everything all the time.
  • Information