Condensation

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a lighted hood for my aquarium. It makes the setup much easier to look at but now I have condensation on the glass. I only put the light on from about 5pm to 9pm but the condensation lasts all day. I dropped the water temp slightly(from 80 to 78) thinking that that might help. It didn\'t.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
l8or g8or

Do you have a basking light as well? The basking light should be on for 10 to 12 hours a day.
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

I do not use a basking lamp, just the hood lamp, but one side of the tank is next to a window where they can get indirect sunlight for most of the day. This must work pretty well as they like to climb out of the water and sleep on the rock in the sunlight. Also, I use one of those little calcium blocks in the water for their shells.

As for the condensation, I cut out the holes on the back of the hood and keep the front feeding door open and that has helped greatly. It still fogs slightly at the water edge, but not too much.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like you have more problems than you know about. You need UVA light(heat lamp) and UVB light(a special flourescnet tube). The sunlight is great but the turts are not getting the amount of rays they need. If they don\'t get the proper amount of UVB and A lighting they could get soft shells, get bone disease, and die

Heres the other part, you can\'t use the glass hood with the UVB light because the glass will filter the light rays and weaken them. You need a screen hood. This will solve your condesation problem also. You can just set your light on top of the screen hood that you have now. The screen hood can be purchased at a petshop for 10-25 dollars depending on the size of the tank.
  • Information