Turtles and fishes

Discussions about turtles.
newsie24601

Hi, I\'m new to this board and looked though old posts for an answer but couldn\'t find one.

My husband and I have a 45 gallon tank with about 10 fishes. We were wondering if we could have a turtle with them? Are there any breeds that can live with fishes? I read that painted turtle don\'t eat fishes.

Any advice would help. Thanks!
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

Hi
I\'m pretty new aswell but from what i\'ve learned any turtle will eat anything put in his/her tank! I have a baby red ear and she\'ll eat anything. I was asking the same questions a while back but i wanted to know if newts would be safe and everyone said dont even try it because the turtle will eat them. The only thing is my turtle doesnt eat the fish i have for her very quickly so you could still keep a turtle with them if you dont mind a fish getting eaten everyonce in a while! Good luck!
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

If you keep the turtle well fed and used to getting hand fed, it porbally will not eat the fish. Turtles seem to eat what is easiest first and if they aren\'t that hungry, then they will not eat something that is difficult to catch.
Trtlgrl2_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a painted turtle and he will eat fish. However, like the above response says if the turtle is well fed, and used to being fed, it may not eat the fish. I personally would not ad a turtle to a tank in which you already have fish living in. If are are considering getting a turtle I\'d make him/her their very own setup.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

So its pretty simple, if you want to get rid of your fish, put a turtle in there with them.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

So its pretty simple, if you want to get rid of your fish, put a turtle in there with them.

I have 2 baby RES (3 inches) and they are in with my fish. The man at the petstore told me as long as my fish were not long and skinny they should be okay until my turtles get to 4-5 inches. So I have some FAT tetras and danios and there have been no problems. My turtles dont even look twice but the fish sure swim fast when the turtles are around. My turtles are used to getting their food on the top of the water so it hasn\'t been a problem at all. Hope this helps!
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

Funny that this is back up. I just lost my first fish a couple hours ago. It had been a long time since I put them in. I didn\'t think they would ever eat them(though they did give chase from time to time) but, sure enough, one is gone!!!
  • Information