Bubbles is SICK!

Discussions about turtles.
Pocketsizevenus

I have 4 Red Ear Sliders. I have had all of them for about 6 months now and I have not had any problems until now. My baby (smallest turtle) Bubbles will not eat. It has been about 4 weeks now and I have tried everything. The water is set at 84 and everything is properly set. The other turtles are fine. She gasps for air a lot and stays on the rock a lot..I forcefully sometimes put her in the water to get exercise and make sure she\'s alive. She has sometimes little bubbles around her mouth too....what\'s wrong with her? I\'ve kept her warm and tried feeding her shrimp but nothing. I don\'t know what to do anymore??? Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sweetangel314
Level 1
Level 1

Thats what happened to my baby res and my bigger one.. the baby one made my big one sick, but since he was older he fought it off.. the baby one died.. i used to do the same thing you did by putting it in the water but it didnt work.. it died shortly after it started to get the foam around its mouth.. but just be careful that it wont make your other turtles sick.. thats what happened with me.. i couldnt find anything that worked for it.. good luck..
l8or g8or

Do you always keep your water that warm or did you raise it since she started showing signs of illness? Normal water temp. should be 74 -78 degrees, 84 sounds awfully warm unless you just now raised it.
Pocketsizevenus

Thank you so much for your help guys. I hope she pulls thru but something tells me that I don\'t think she will. She\'s held on for quite awhile now but I just don\'t know. I just recently raised the water temp b/c its cold here in Houston and plus b/c I was told to keep her warm. Usually the water is set for 78 degrees in the summer time. I don\'t know.....thanx again. I appreciate it. She\'s still alive....hope it stays that way.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

If your lil turtle has bubbles around it\'s nose and is having problems breathing, it sounds more like it has a respiratory problem more then anything else...I would check the care sheets on this site because they are very helpful and informative...
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

Please take it to a vet right away.

Our RES had the symptoms you describe. Mouth-breathing. Foaming. It turned out to be pnuemonia. We had to give it antibiotic shots every three days for a few weeks. I\'m happy to report that she survived.
  • Information