New Owner

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
IlovemyShelby

I just baught a small red ear slider a week ago from a pet store. For now he\'s in a kitty litter box, with just enough water for him to get wet and swim around in. He also has sea shells that surround him so he can get out of the water and dry off. I\'m only leaving him like that for another couple of days. Do you think that I need to get him a 20 gallon tank and fill it with some water and get a filter and a uvb light bulb to replace that?
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

I got two RES\'s for Christmas for my son. I never knew that I would need so much stuff, but if you want him to live you will have to invest and might as well do it right from the beginning. Get a 20 gallon tank, heater, uv light, rocks, turtle block water conditioner, the works....
To be honset, if I would have known the cost I might not have gotten this present for him.
They are fun to watch though, especially chasing feeder guppies. They never can catch them though while I am around.
Devil turtle
Level 1
Level 1

I would get a 20 gal. to begin with. I my self started with a 20 gal. 6 mounths ago and now i have a 50 gal.tank and now i have 5 water turtles. walmart is a good place to get tanks with just about all you need. thats where i bought my 50 gal. for a good price
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

i think you should definately go with the heating lamp and the tank.. all the stuff you need to properly take care of it.

i have a baby red ear slider that i found in my pool, and when we first put him in his tank, he woudln't eat. well come to find out, the water was too cold for him to digest anything..

the uvb bulb is a big help.

you also need some calcium to put in his tank to make sure he/she doesn't get any shell deformities.. 8)
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

I did the same thing. My husband and daughter came home with two from a flea market. I first thought to give them away but they grew on me. Now they are my turtles. But I had them for a few months with the very basics. I honestly didn't want to spend the $ because buying them like that - who knew how long they would last. But I did take care of them. One of the two died. My husband since got a new one to replace that one. I got a 10 gallon from a garage sale and switch them into it. Now I find myself shopping at pet stores to see if there is anything I can buy for my two friends.. Mystery and Squirt ... at least my daughter named them!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Now I find myself shopping at pet stores to see if there is anything I can buy for my two friends..
That sounds very familiar :lol: :lol: :lol:
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

I think thats an addiction we all have :P

I find myself waiting until pay day and the first thing i do is go to the pet store and get new stuff....I have good excuses too. I tell everyone....well...i have to get them more feeder fish. Even though they have plenty! :roll:
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I think that alot of us use feeder fish as decoration. :D
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

I have yet to try feeder fish. I have a 10 gallon with 2 res. How many do you buy? I have the tank half filled with water - Is that ok to put these fish into? Do they just swim around until they get eaten? I don't know if my daugther would appreciate that.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

After a while your turtles will get bored with them and you will be stuck with more pets (which may start begging like mine), so I would just get about 5 of them. :D
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

the person that suggested wal-mart (I didn't catch the screen name soz) is actually right.

i'd check into wal mart to buy tanks before i went to a pet store..

i bougth a small 10 gallon tank for my baby RES at a pet store, and it cost a fecies load of money...

i went to wal mart a day later to pick up some decorations for the tank.. and the price i payed for a 10 gal tank.. i could have bought a 50 gallon and called it quits right there.

but.. that choice is yours to make. sometimes it's smarter to comparison shop.. i just didn't have time to though.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

right,,i've been deciding on my babies' new home since a long time..but well i have time cz they are ok in their temp. home now..

btw, do i have ur turtle's name? almost :o lol
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i would shop around. here at pet stores 10 gallon tanks are only $6.99 and MUCH more at walmart.

i've noticed that the tanks at walmart are pricey. but, that is just my experience down here in florida.
  • Information